nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index nglreturns.myfreeforum.org
Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Do Christians still follow Christ?
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JamesJah
Well Known Chatterbox...


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 5425


Location: Sheppey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Do Christians still follow Christ?  Reply with quote

If Christians claim to follow Christ and many say they do, why was this prophecy made?


(Ephesians 1:9, 10
 by making known to us the sacred secret of his will. It is according to his good pleasure that he himself purposed

 for an administration at the full limit of the appointed times,

to gather all things together in the Christ,

the things in the heavens and the things on the earth. Yes, in him


why are there still so many denominations?
_________________
James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leonard James
Senior Community Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 3963


Location: Spain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is green and goes up and down?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Christians still follow Christ? Reply with quote

JamesJah wrote:
If Christians claim to follow Christ and many say they do....


why are there still so many denominations?


Because we have different ideas about what Christ wanted, what he meant by the things he said, and more importantly how to apply those teachings in practice.

For example, two Christians would entirely agree with each other that scripture teaches us that we should look after the weak and the voiceless.

Some would then say that this means we should offer abortions to help the disenfranchised woman in trouble. Others would say that it means we should stop abortions in order to help the voiceless unborn foetus.

So, different traditions arise, all trying in good faith to follow the same teachings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sebastian Toe
Senior Community Member


Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Posts: 1261



PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonard James wrote:
What is green and goes up and down?

A pea in a lift?
_________________
The legal drinking age has never been 21 in the UK.
It was increased to 18 years around 1922 and has remained 18 years ever since.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JamesJah
Well Known Chatterbox...


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 5425


Location: Sheppey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Christians still follow Christ? Reply with quote

cyberman wrote:
JamesJah wrote:
If Christians claim to follow Christ and many say they do....


why are there still so many denominations?


Because we have different ideas about what Christ wanted, what he meant by the things he said, and more importantly how to apply those teachings in practice.

For example, two Christians would entirely agree with each other that scripture teaches us that we should look after the weak and the voiceless.

Some would then say that this means we should offer abortions to help the disenfranchised woman in trouble. Others would say that it means we should stop abortions in order to help the voiceless unborn foetus.

So, different traditions arise, all trying in good faith to follow the same teachings


What I meant when I asked was doctrine.

How is it possible for some to believe what an apostate teacher might say when he has what Jesus taut at his finger tips, with the righting's of the Hebrew and Greek scriptures?
_________________
James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Christians still follow Christ? Reply with quote

JamesJah wrote:
cyberman wrote:
JamesJah wrote:
If Christians claim to follow Christ and many say they do....


why are there still so many denominations?


Because we have different ideas about what Christ wanted, what he meant by the things he said, and more importantly how to apply those teachings in practice.

For example, two Christians would entirely agree with each other that scripture teaches us that we should look after the weak and the voiceless.

Some would then say that this means we should offer abortions to help the disenfranchised woman in trouble. Others would say that it means we should stop abortions in order to help the voiceless unborn foetus.

So, different traditions arise, all trying in good faith to follow the same teachings


What I meant when I asked was doctrine.

How is it possible for some to believe what an apostate teacher might say when he has what Jesus taut at his finger tips, with the righting's of the Hebrew and Greek scriptures?


It is nothing to do with apostacy - but I have explained how reading the same scripture can lead to different doctrines. Another example is war. Some say that "Love your neighbour" means be a pacifist, don't resort to aggression no matter how the other party is behaving, because that foreign power is your neighbour. Others say it means you have to intervene even if it means you put yourself in danger and incur a terrible cost, because the victims of that foreign power are your neighbour and need your help. Simply having the teaching at your fingertips doesn't mean that the right course of action is obvious or indisputable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JamesJah
Well Known Chatterbox...


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 5425


Location: Sheppey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Christians still follow Christ? Reply with quote

cyberman wrote:
JamesJah wrote:
cyberman wrote:
JamesJah wrote:
If Christians claim to follow Christ and many say they do....


why are there still so many denominations?


Because we have different ideas about what Christ wanted, what he meant by the things he said, and more importantly how to apply those teachings in practice.

For example, two Christians would entirely agree with each other that scripture teaches us that we should look after the weak and the voiceless.

Some would then say that this means we should offer abortions to help the disenfranchised woman in trouble. Others would say that it means we should stop abortions in order to help the voiceless unborn foetus.

So, different traditions arise, all trying in good faith to follow the same teachings


What I meant when I asked was doctrine.

How is it possible for some to believe what an apostate teacher might say when he has what Jesus taut at his finger tips, with the righting's of the Hebrew and Greek scriptures?


It is nothing to do with apostacy - but I have explained how reading the same scripture can lead to different doctrines. Another example is war. Some say that "Love your neighbour" means be a pacifist, don't resort to aggression no matter how the other party is behaving, because that foreign power is your neighbour. Others say it means you have to intervene even if it means you put yourself in danger and incur a terrible cost, because the victims of that foreign power are your neighbour and need your help. Simply having the teaching at your fingertips doesn't mean that the right course of action is obvious or indisputable.


How about love your enemies and do good to them and not evil?

Why would a Christian bomb another Christian of the same faith?

Luke 6:27, 28
But I say to you who are listening: Continue to love your enemies, to do good to those hating you, 28 to bless those cursing you, to pray for those who are insulting you.

Romans 12:20, 21
But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.
_________________
James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leonard James
Senior Community Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 3963


Location: Spain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian Toe wrote:
Leonard James wrote:
What is green and goes up and down?

A pea in a lift?


Or a caterpillar.  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Christians still follow Christ? Reply with quote

JamesJah wrote:


Why would a Christian bomb another Christian of the same faith?.


Well, not as a matter of course, obviously! But sometimes inaction seems to some Christians to be neglecting the needs of their neighbours. WWII is often cited as an example of this. The plight of the victims of the Nazis could not be ignored.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sebastian Toe
Senior Community Member


Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Posts: 1261



PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonard James wrote:
Sebastian Toe wrote:
Leonard James wrote:
What is green and goes up and down?

A pea in a lift?


Or a caterpillar.  

A pea in a caterpillar?


_________________
The legal drinking age has never been 21 in the UK.
It was increased to 18 years around 1922 and has remained 18 years ever since.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum