nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index nglreturns.myfreeforum.org
Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


That's Christianity for you
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Atheist chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: That's Christianity for you  Reply with quote



Original sin and total depravity, anyone?
_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketty
Moderator


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 7376


Location: Walking the narrow path, singing merrily and living Victoriously

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem with religion for you.

According to Christ:

Christianity tells her that she is wonderfully made.
Christianity tells her she is loved so much Christ gave His life for her.  
Christianity tells her she has infinite worth.
Christianity tells her she can approach God with confidence and boldness.
Christianity tells her she's beautifully unique.
Christianity tells her she is loved without measure.
Christianity tells her she is great.
Christianity tells her she can be assured in Him and she needs no praises or approval of man.


_________________
<><Although Christians and Mormons use the same words such as grace, faith, God and sin, they mean very different things by them. Beware the poison!><>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Boyg
Senior Community Member


Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 3527



PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't your thread title be "Atheists exploit small child for propaganda purposes"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Boyg
Senior Community Member


Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 3527



PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And science says none of the things on the right.

Science has nothing to say about the worth of the individual.

Science tells her that she is simply a temporary receptacle for her genes and of no more significance than a tape worm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketty wrote:
That's the problem with religion for you.

According to Christ:

Christianity tells her that she is wonderfully made.

The picture doesn't reveal anything in that regard but of course it's always possible that the little one may have physical disabilities, defects and abnormalities. Millions do and are therefore not very wonderfully made at all. Which you can expect from and indeed explain by a partially random biochemical process such as genetics - it's those who think that there's an awful shade of some unseen power supervising everything (intelligently, so they say) who have some explaining to do.
Quote:
Christianity tells her she is loved so much Christ gave His life for her.
 
I doubt she can tie her own shoelaces as yet and probably likes things in the order of finger painting and dolls. What on earth (literally, you might say) did she do to merit such an outré (and indeed unsought and unasked-for) act?
Quote:
Christianity tells her she has infinite worth.
Christianity tells her she can approach God with confidence and boldness.
Christianity tells her she's beautifully unique.
Christianity tells her she is loved without measure.
Christianity tells her she is great.

Does it? Does it really? Where does it tell her that?

Are you denying, then, that Christianity regards her as sinful - arguably no more so and perhaps less than many others, but sinful nonetheless? Or is it the case, as we so often hear, that in God's eyes (metaphorical eyes, obviously ... which might lead one to ask why sin isn't metaphorical as well) all sin is sin, full stop (or 'period' as the colonials say) and that nicking a packet of Post-It notes from work is tantamount to assault and battery? On the basis that this religion's alleged founding figure regarded sexual thoughts - just thoughts - as morally on the same plane as actual adultery, I mean. Unless they've got rid of Matthew 5:27-28, which would be a decided improvement.

But back to sin. Have they removed Romans 3:10 and 3:23 as well these days? I'm truly delighted to hear it if so 
_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll


Last edited by Shaker on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:25 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boyg wrote:
Shouldn't your thread title be "Atheists exploit small child for propaganda purposes"?

No.

And even if that were true, which it isn't, given what's still coming out from County Galway at present I'd say that a photograph of a clearly happy and delightful young tot taken for an adult to make a serious point about the loathsomeness of Christianity and its mindset would be rather small potatoes - small on the virological scale in fact. Wouldn't you?
_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketty
Moderator


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 7376


Location: Walking the narrow path, singing merrily and living Victoriously

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaker wrote:
it's always possible that the little one may have physical disabilities, defects and abnormalities. Millions do and are therefore not very wonderfully made at all.


That's what science tells folk who aren't quite 'perfect'.  Christ tells all we are wonderfully made.

Shaker wrote:
I doubt she can tie her own shoelaces as yet and probably likes things in the order of finger painting and dolls. What on earth (literally, you might say) did she do to merit such an outré (and indeed unsought and unasked-for) act?


Yet it still happened.  Science sees is at worthless.

Shaker wrote:

Does it? Does it really? Where does it tell her that?


Throughout the Gospel.

Shaker wrote:
Are you denying, then, that Christianity regards her as sinful


Looking through your lens and understanding, yes!  She is beautifully and wonderfully made and if the Lord took her today, she will spend eternity in heaven.

Shaker wrote:
- arguably no more so and perhaps less than many others, but sinful nonetheless? Or is it the case, as we so often hear, that in God's eyes (metaphorical eyes, obviously ... which might lead one to ask why sin isn't metaphorical as well) all sin is sin, full stop (or 'period' as the colonials say) and that nicking a packet of Post-It notes from work is tantamount to assault and battery? On the basis that this religion's alleged founding figure regarded sexual thoughts - just thoughts - as morally on the same plane as actual adultery, I mean. Unless they've got rid of Matthew 5:27-28, which would be a decided improvement.

But back to sin. Have they removed Romans 3:10 and 3:23 as well these days? I'm truly delighted to hear it if so 


The Lord thinks you are wonderfully made too, despite the sin He can see.  
_________________
<><Although Christians and Mormons use the same words such as grace, faith, God and sin, they mean very different things by them. Beware the poison!><>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketty wrote:
That's what science tells folk who aren't quite 'perfect'.

Science doesn't deal in the concept of perfect in any case, but it can certainly identify and explain such deviations from the statistical norm.

I wouldn't say that babies born with epidermolysis bullosa were "wonderfully made." (It has to be your own choice, obviously, but I'd advise against doing a Google Images search for this condition).

Quote:
Yet it still happened.
 
[citation required] as they say on Wikipedia

Quote:
Throughout the Gospel.

Can you be a little more specific?

Quote:
Looking through your lens and understanding, yes!  She is beautifully and wonderfully made and if the Lord took her today, she will spend eternity in heaven.

Why would that happen? She's not old enough to know or indeed have any real grasp on the concepts of Jesus, sin or redemption and the rest of it - so if she died, why would this result ensue?

There's no such thing as a Christian child or a Jewish child, obviously - the very idea is absurd - but she may belong to parents who are religiously observant Jews, let's say. According to Orthodox Judaism (only) a Jewish mother makes the child Jewish. What would be the result then?

Quote:
The Lord thinks you are wonderfully made too

On that point we are at one, then
Quote:
despite the sin He can see.

Should've gone to Specsavers
_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Boyg
Senior Community Member


Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 3527



PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaker wrote:
The Boyg wrote:
Shouldn't your thread title be "Atheists exploit small child for propaganda purposes"?

No.

And even if that were true, which it isn't, given what's still coming out from County Galway at present I'd say that a photograph of a clearly happy and delightful young tot taken for an adult to make a serious point about the loathsomeness of Christianity and its mindset would be rather small potatoes - small on the virological scale in fact. Wouldn't you?


Tu quoque?

That's it?

That's your justification for the little girl being used like this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boyg wrote:
Shaker wrote:
The Boyg wrote:
Shouldn't your thread title be "Atheists exploit small child for propaganda purposes"?

No.

And even if that were true, which it isn't, given what's still coming out from County Galway at present I'd say that a photograph of a clearly happy and delightful young tot taken for an adult to make a serious point about the loathsomeness of Christianity and its mindset would be rather small potatoes - small on the virological scale in fact. Wouldn't you?


Tu quoque?

That's it?

That's your justification for the little girl being used like this?

It's perfectly good enough for me. I don't consider that a photograph (evidently staged by adults, presumably parent or parents) of a beaming little girl holding a sign which she may not even be able to read or, if a little, understand compares in any way whatever to the depressing, deplorable and brutalising excuse for a creed which the photograph attacks and which has always led and still leads to so much utter misery, degradation and suffering the world over. The photograph exists to make a point - which it does, well (although not as well as it could do: the word 'religion' in the left-hand column should really be replaced by 'Christianity' for it to be maximally apposite and accurate. Wicca is a religion but says or implies none of those things, for example). I'm sure you like to think you're in high moral dudgeon and are ready to mount your high horse because the photograph uses a cute, smiling little girl to make its point - thank goodness we never, ever see the religious mob doing the same thing, eh?


_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll


Last edited by Shaker on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Atheist chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum