Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Atheist chat
Judders Lady...

Atheists... have you ever prayed?

As unbelievers have you ever prayed for anything at any time in your life?
If so. why and what was the outcome?


Love Judders Lady...xx
Pukon_the_Treen

Quote:
As unbelievers have you ever prayed for anything at any time in your life?
If so. why and what was the outcome?


I don't know if I've ever prayed 'for' anything as such, as in wanted to get something or wanted a particular event to happen; I didn't think that was the point.

I prayed often as a child, mostly mechanical words of worship when I was told to in school assemblies, but also a few times sincerely and spontaneously on my own when I was frightened or distressed. Nothing happened, if anything, I seem to remember that I felt even more alone afterwards.

Since deciding that I did not believe in God (from about eleven or twelve onwards) I have tried to pray two or three times, because someone I cared about told me they wanted me to try. I did try; partly to oblige, partly from a genuine curiosity.  I opened my heart and mind and honesty did my best to reach out to the vague idea of Jesus that I had in my imagination.  I tried to address this entity, and to ask Him to come into my life. I told Him that I was sorry for my sins and that I accepted His sacrifice to bear the burden of these rather mild and inconsequential failings.  Nothing happened, except again I think afterwards I felt my individuality and isolation emphasised, and felt even more alone for some reason.
Farmer Geddon

If you mean as in - "Awww for Fucks sake" [add wish here] then yes, and it usually has come true!!
Leonard James

I prayed for help to hold on to my faith when I was a Chrsitian, but none came.

As an atheist I don't pray, of course, but sometimes hope fervently that something will or will not happen. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, as is to be expected ... exactly the same as with prayers.
rick

Re: Atheists... have you ever prayed?

Judders Lady... wrote:
As unbelievers have you ever prayed for anything at any time in your life?
If so. why and what was the outcome?


Love Judders Lady...xx


Hi Judders,

Yup! I prayed to sleep with you and I am still waiting for the answer.  
Dave B

I used to pray when I was about eight or so, but decided that is was not achieving much - bad things still happened.

Even when on death's door, and knowing it, the idea of God, Heaven, prayer etc. never entered into my mind.

I am aware that one can use prayer as auto-suggestion. If you say, "Make me a better person, less touchy, more generous, more gentle . . ." (no deity named by the way) at a regular time of day for a few years the chances are that it may have an effect.

The dictionary allows payer as "an earnest expression of desire" and I think that, even without a deity being appealed to, this is the critical thing, it must be sincere - therefore it must almost pre-exist and simply require reinforcement.
rick

Dave B wrote:
I used to pray when I was about eight or so, but decided that is was not achieving much - bad things still happened.

Even when on death's door, and knowing it, the idea of God, Heaven, prayer etc. never entered into my mind.

I am aware that one can use prayer as auto-suggestion. If you say, "Make me a better person, less touchy, more generous, more gentle . . ." (no deity named by the way) at a regular time of day for a few years the chances are that it may have an effect.

The dictionary allows payer as "an earnest expression of desire" and I think that, even without a deity being appealed to, this is the critical thing, it must be sincere - therefore it must almost pre-exist and simply require reinforcement.


She asked had anyone prayed and what the result was.
Had she wanted your life story she would have started a thread called " This is your life"
Dave B

Quote:
She asked had anyone prayed and what the result was.


OK, "No; but I survived a distinct threat to my life."
Judders Lady...

Re: Atheists... have you ever prayed?

rick wrote:
Judders Lady... wrote:
As unbelievers have you ever prayed for anything at any time in your life?
If so. why and what was the outcome?


Love Judders Lady...xx


Hi Judders,

Yup! I prayed to sleep with you and I am still waiting for the answer.  


Sorry but he doesn't ask us to do things like that.
To be perfectly honest with you. If God came down in person with JC and the whole company of heaven and asked/told me to sleep with you I would still say NO!

So I can tell you the answer to your prayers is NO!



 maddddd.gif  

Love Judders Lady...xx
Judders Lady...

Pukon_the_Treen wrote:
Quote:
As unbelievers have you ever prayed for anything at any time in your life?
If so. why and what was the outcome?


I don't know if I've ever prayed 'for' anything as such, as in wanted to get something or wanted a particular event to happen; I didn't think that was the point.

I prayed often as a child, mostly mechanical words of worship when I was told to in school assemblies, but also a few times sincerely and spontaneously on my own when I was frightened or distressed. Nothing happened, if anything, I seem to remember that I felt even more alone afterwards.

Since deciding that I did not believe in God (from about eleven or twelve onwards) I have tried to pray two or three times, because someone I cared about told me they wanted me to try. I did try; partly to oblige, partly from a genuine curiosity.  I opened my heart and mind and honesty did my best to reach out to the vague idea of Jesus that I had in my imagination.  I tried to address this entity, and to ask Him to come into my life. I told Him that I was sorry for my sins and that I accepted His sacrifice to bear the burden of these rather mild and inconsequential failings.  Nothing happened, except again I think afterwards I felt my individuality and isolation emphasised, and felt even more alone for some reason.


To be honest I think asking Christ into your heart is rubbish, too.
I think it sets people up for a fall. I had been a believer for years and knew God. Then some pip squeak comes up with the " did you ask Jesus into your heart"  so I said, "No I just believe he was the Son of God and Pow there was God in my life." The truth is that it is a childs faith which makes the difference. I had always had that but people try and make you feel so inferior, and that makes you feel even worse. So when I got older I had learned so much of how some press the wrong beliefs onto others.

Sad it happened to you that way. Sorry I did not reply to you first but I glimpsed through the thread and found (?)rick being a dipstick.


Love Judders Lady...xx
Pukon_the_Treen

Lynne,

Quote:
To be honest I think asking Christ into your heart is rubbish, too.


It is a phrase we atheists tend to hear rather often, as if it is some sort of magic spell to invoke Christ and so become a True Christian ™ I was asked to try it, and I did, but nothing happened. I didn't expect it to I suppose, it was more in the nature of an experiment than a sincere plea for His attention.  I can't help it; I just don't believe in God and Jesus, so any effort to contact them through prayer will be insincere.

Quote:
I think it sets people up for a fall. I had been a believer for years and knew God. Then some pip squeak comes up with the " did you ask Jesus into your heart"  so I said, "No I just believe he was the Son of God and Pow there was God in my life." The truth is that it is a childs faith which makes the difference.


I think I believed in God as a child; it's hard to remember now.  Though I believed, I didn't have any kind of 'relationship' or contact with God, it was like being told that the planet Neptune exists; I couldn't see it, it had no impact upon my life, but at that point I had no reason to doubt what teachers were telling me.
Quote:

I had always had that but people try and make you feel so inferior, and that makes you feel even worse. So when I got older I had learned so much of how some press the wrong beliefs onto others.


I am not one of those atheists who claim to have been 'damaged' by Christianity; the stories and information I was taught about God and Jesus were not harmful, I just decided later that they probably weren't true.  This was not a painful or traumatic experience, because the connection to God was never there in the first place for it to hurt when I lost it.  For a few years I did resent the fact that I felt I had been lied to, but most of that was just teenage rebelliousness.  I do wonder at the wisdom of teachers who are probably not particularly religious trying to teach Christianity to children in schools; the message is confusing and misleading at best.

Quote:
Sad it happened to you that way.


I don't think of it as sad, it was just part of growing up. I didn't mean to sound as though being left feeling alone was a bad thing; I'm ok with being alone, I think that is the normal state for people.
Judders Lady...

Leonard James wrote:
I prayed for help to hold on to my faith when I was a Chrsitian, but none came.


I want to hug you, (((Leonard)))  


Quote:

As an atheist I don't pray, of course, but sometimes hope fervently that something will or will not happen. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, as is to be expected ... exactly the same as with prayers.


Thanks for your honesty!

Love Lynne.xx
Judders Lady...

Pukon_the_Treen wrote:
Lynne,

It is a phrase we atheists tend to hear rather often, as if it is some sort of magic spell to invoke Christ and so become a True Christian ™ I was asked to try it, and I did, but nothing happened. I didn't expect it to I suppose, it was more in the nature of an experiment than a sincere plea for His attention.  I can't help it; I just don't believe in God and Jesus, so any effort to contact them through prayer will be insincere.


Didn't hear till I was 15 year old. God had always lead me where he wanted me to be and then I came to this place and I learned that people were now asking Christ into their heart. It was the first time I questioned what I knew and the time I discovered I already had what they were now telling me it brings. I believe God just requires our sincerity.

Quote:

I think I believed in God as a child; it's hard to remember now.  Though I believed, I didn't have any kind of 'relationship' or contact with God, it was like being told that the planet Neptune exists; I couldn't see it, it had no impact upon my life, but at that point I had no reason to doubt what teachers were telling me.


I can see that you never knew him being around you.
We did not have teachers telling us about God.
I had this conversation with an atheist a couple of weeks ago.
He insisted I must have and that I must have forgotten.
But I can honestly say we never received religious studies at junior or infant school We had prayers at assembly each day but no religious studies.
I always had God watching over me and I always knew he was there.
Not a bragging thing you understand because it made my life quite difficult at times. I could not understand how people did some of the things they did when they knew God was there watching. When I grew older I realised they could do them because they did not know he was there.


Quote:

I am not one of those atheists who claim to have been 'damaged' by Christianity; the stories and information I was taught about God and Jesus were not harmful, I just decided later that they probably weren't true.  This was not a painful or traumatic experience, because the connection to God was never there in the first place for it to hurt when I lost it.  For a few years I did resent the fact that I felt I had been lied to, but most of that was just teenage rebelliousness.  I do wonder at the wisdom of teachers who are probably not particularly religious trying to teach Christianity to children in schools; the message is confusing and misleading at best.


Religious education in high school taught me nothing.
The Lord had me attending two churches for services and Sunday school.
I remember God taught me about Moses and the OT before the NT.
I always knew about Christ but the OT was where he started me.
When I got into my teens that is when the bible actually became a living truth for me. Thing fell into place and God taught me himself from the bible. I sometimes wonder how much damage is done by teachers putting their own spin on things. There is something I do not understand.
Atheist teachers who teach Religious Education, always thought that a bit strange.  I think that the teaching of the Nativity and Passover are fine.
But they should leave it to bear essentials and let the children decide.


Quote:

I don't think of it as sad, it was just part of growing up. I didn't mean to sound as though being left feeling alone was a bad thing; I'm ok with being alone, I think that is the normal state for people.


Nothing wrong with being alone I should know, trying to catch a moment alone in a house that was packed to the rafters was a challenge.   I got my own place early on and it was thanks to my mum raising us to live independently.
I am sure that being alone can be a great relief.

Love Lynne.xx
Judders Lady...

Lucifers Duck wrote:
If you mean as in - "Awww for Fucks sake" [add wish here] then yes, and it usually has come true!!


Grimace Oswald,

What's the magic words...


Link
 

xx

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Atheist chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum