Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> All faiths and none
Farmer Geddon

Born Again:

Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?

What if that light is at the end of the birth canal and you is just 'born again'?
The Boyg

Re: Born Again:

Farmer Geddon wrote:
Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?

What if that light is at the end of the birth canal and you is just 'born again'?


It's an interesting thought but given the position that most babies are born in then I doubt they are looking in that direction at the time.
genghiscant

Quote:
Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?


In my experience, that's bollocks.
Farmer Geddon

What, are you expanding my hypotheses to say it might actually be the opening of the vagina?

I guess it would also work in a CS..  both are escape routes!!
The Boyg

What if there's only one soul bouncing back and forward through time from person to person? Then doing unto others would really be the same thing as doing unto oneself.
Farmer Geddon

LOL geng...

... but it does throw up an interesting paradox?
The Boyg

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?


In my experience, that's bollocks.


That's interesting. You've experienced dying?  
Farmer Geddon

Soul?

What has that got to do with rebirth?
The Boyg

Farmer Geddon wrote:
What, are you expanding my hypotheses to say it might actually be the opening of the vagina?

I guess it would also work in a CS..  both are escape routes!!


I don't think I'm saying that. However, if one believed in reincarnation, it could be interpreted as the experience of passing from the darkness of a dieing vessel into the bright light of a new life.
bnabernard

Re: Born Again:

Farmer Geddon wrote:
Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?

What if that light is at the end of the birth canal and you is just 'born again'?


Yes I've heard this from people who have seen the light but returned, it turns out, as they discribe it, as seeing a light at the end of a dark tunnle, however in reflection they say after being returned to the norm, that it was just a bloke with a torch and another load of problems, I would put a smilie here but it would give the game away.

bernard (hug)
The Boyg

Farmer Geddon wrote:
Soul?

What has that got to do with rebirth?


I don't know. What would you call the thing that is having the experience of this light?
Lexilogio

Re: Born Again:

Farmer Geddon wrote:
Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?

What if that light is at the end of the birth canal and you is just 'born again'?


I've heard that idea. Given that I had a grandparent die shortly before the birth of my eldest and my second, it was mentioned at the time.

Now that WOULD be wierd. Giving birth to your own Grandmother....
Farmer Geddon

Rebirth should have no gender Lexi... should it?
bnabernard

Re: Born Again:

bnabernard wrote:
Farmer Geddon wrote:
Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?

What if that light is at the end of the birth canal and you is just 'born again'?


Yes I've heard this from people who have seen the light but returned, it turns out, as they discribe it, as seeing a light at the end of a dark tunnle, however in reflection they say after being returned to the norm, that it was just a bloke with a torch and another load of problems, I would put a smilie here but it would give the game away.

bernard (hug)


Perhaps we need to see what the hindus reckon
Lexilogio

Farmer Geddon wrote:
Rebirth should have no gender Lexi... should it?


No - but the previous incarnation would have.

Still would be wierd though...
Farmer Geddon

Are we talking eggs here Bern?
Farmer Geddon

.. what if gender wasn't an issue Lexi?
Lexilogio

Farmer Geddon wrote:
.. what if gender wasn't an issue Lexi?


Giving birth to my Grandad would be equally as wierd....
Farmer Geddon

.. it could be worse Lexi - it could be pebble-dash?
bnabernard

Farmer Geddon wrote:
Are we talking eggs here Bern?


Even when I was struck by lightening    I did not see the light, a few times death has come knocking on my door and I never saw no light, I'll have to see what happens next time, but excuse me if I don't encourage it to be to soon.  

But I got to warn you duck there;s more than half a chance we gonna end up talking Noah before to long  


bernie (hug)
Farmer Geddon

.. stuck by lightening?

How come I didn't know this fact?
bnabernard

Farmer Geddon wrote:
.. stuck by lightening?

How come I didn't know this fact?


Putting a chimney pot on a stack in camblewell (prob spelt that wrong)
nothing special.

bernard (hug)
Farmer Geddon

You were putting a pot on a stack during a thunder-storm; in Camberwell?

How badass are you?

bnabernard

Farmer Geddon wrote:
You were putting a pot on a stack during a thunder-storm; in Camberwell?

How badass are you?



with an umbrella,   , it like snuck up on me/us. when you've got scaffold the poles can sometimes start singing (humming) as the electrical storm builds, then you know that it's about, but generaly you get to see it, and wisely have it on your toes, this time, no rain and no warning, crash bang whallop and thats it, me going wow and hugging a pot and me mate knocked over and lying in the box gutter, all I felt was a whack on the 'ead, how what and whatever that was it, one might say, over in a flash   .

No big deal we sat in the loft then finished the job when it had passed.
No voices from God, bit dissapointed about that  

bernard (hug)
Farmer Geddon

It's an amazing feeling, ain't it - everything just hums!!
Powwow

bna,
"all I felt was a whack on the 'ead," "No voices from God"

That explains everything my little heretic.
Farmer Geddon

Are you claiming that G-d speaks through you Mr Moodie?
Powwow

Have I made that claim?
Farmer Geddon

Have you?
Powwow

So you don't know either.LOL
That makes your post rather retarded.
Farmer Geddon

So you don't speak for G-d then?
Powwow

Have I made such a claim?
Farmer Geddon

Have you?
Powwow

Have I what?
bnabernard

http://www.moshereiss.org/christianity/02_tradition/02_tradition.htm

What is a Jewish Prophet?  He is a man of God (1 Sam. 9:10) and a servant of God (2 Kings 21:10). He did not necessarily perform miracles and after Samuel and Nathan (David's prophet) was rarely an establishment leader.  The Prophet did not necessarily foretell the future although some did.  He was first and foremost a proclaimer of God's truth with a social message.  Rabbi Dr. Abraham J. Heschel, Professor of Jewish Religious Philosophy at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York wrote about the prophets as follows:


* They speak with `immoderate excitement and intense  indignation'. 20

*They speak and act as if the sky were about to collapse 21.

*Their words are `a sharp sword' and a polished arrow' 22.

*To the prophet the moral state of society `is dreadful', `he seems unable to extenuate the culpability of man' 23.


The prophet is all this because his relationship is not to God the absolute but the God `of the divine interaction with humanity'. He experiences what he hears God say, he experiences a personal relation with God 24. He is `God intoxicated'. God interacts with history through people who are `God intoxicated'. He speaks through them and reacts to them. When `God intoxicated' men (or women) react to Him, He responds. When Abraham prayed to save Sodom and Gemorrah for 50 good people, 40, 30 and finally 10, God responded.


Prophets were men who by the nature of profession placed upon them were men of truth.  They were extremists and consequently they told the absolute truth.  They brooked no excuse, no compromise; they thundered their passionate denunciations and their demand for absolute justice. All of this can be said about Jesus.
genghiscant

Quote:
Quote:
Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?



genghiscant wrote:

Quote:
In my experience, that's bollocks.



Quote:
That's interesting. You've experienced dying?


Yes.
The Boyg

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?



genghiscant wrote:

Quote:
In my experience, that's bollocks.



Quote:
That's interesting. You've experienced dying?


Yes.


If you have directly experienced dying how are you here to tell us about your experience? Were you resurrected from the dead or are you posting 'from the other side'?  
genghiscant

Quote:
Quote:
Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?




genghiscant wrote:


Quote:
In my experience, that's bollocks.




Quote:
Quote:
That's interesting. You've experienced dying?
 

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Yes.



Quote:
If you have directly experienced dying how are you here to tell us about your experience? Were you resurrected from the dead or are you posting 'from the other side'?


It depends on your definition of death. Seven years ago, whilst in hospital recovering from a heart bypass operation, I had a cardiac arrest. I was in a general cardiac ward at the time. My wife was beside my bed & raised the alert. One of the nurses jumped on top of me & started CPR. Before a defibrillator could be used my heart restarted spontaneously. I was gone for ninety seconds.
There was no white light to go towards, no dead relatives, just sweet oblivion.
The Boyg

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have you heard about the phenomenon that when you die, you are guided to go the light?




genghiscant wrote:


Quote:
In my experience, that's bollocks.




Quote:
Quote:
That's interesting. You've experienced dying?
 

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Yes.



Quote:
If you have directly experienced dying how are you here to tell us about your experience? Were you resurrected from the dead or are you posting 'from the other side'?


It depends on your definition of death. Seven years ago, whilst in hospital recovering from a heart bypass operation, I had a cardiac arrest. I was in a general cardiac ward at the time. My wife was beside my bed & raised the alert. One of the nurses jumped on top of me & started CPR. Before a defibrillator could be used my heart restarted spontaneously. I was gone for ninety seconds.
There was no white light to go towards, no dead relatives, just sweet oblivion.


So you didn't actually die and therefore don't have any direct personal experience of dying.

Thanks for clearing that up.
genghiscant

Quote:
So you didn't actually die and therefore don't have any direct personal experience of dying.


Neither did Jesus.
The Boyg

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
So you didn't actually die and therefore don't have any direct personal experience of dying.


Neither did Jesus.


In your opinion.

Or is it your contention that He was merely "gone for ninety seconds" as you were?

Lexilogio

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
So you didn't actually die and therefore don't have any direct personal experience of dying.


Neither did Jesus.


Are you indicating that Jesus is still alive?

BTW - I think the light comes at 3-4 minutes. You were lucky. I hope you are fully recovered now?
genghiscant

Quote:
BTW - I think the light comes at 3-4 minutes


Really! And how do you know this?
genghiscant

Quote:
Are you indicating that Jesus is still alive?


According to you lot, he is.
Lexilogio

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
BTW - I think the light comes at 3-4 minutes


Really! And how do you know this?


The brain takes 3-4 minutes to die when starved of oxygen, so up to that point, technically, you are still alive.... And if it was your heart stopping, that would cause a sudden slow down in the oxygen flow to the brain.
genghiscant

Quote:
Quote:
BTW - I think the light comes at 3-4 minutes


genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Really! And how do you know this?



Quote:
The brain takes 3-4 minutes to die when starved of oxygen, so up to that point, technically, you are still alive.... And if it was your heart stopping, that would cause a sudden slow down in the oxygen flow to the brain.



Yes, I know all about that. I learnt it from a consultant cardiologist. I meant how do you know about the white light?
bnabernard

If we are doing the white light it might give balance to bring in the out of body experience with it, been a bit of that floating arround as well.

bernard (hug)
genghiscant

What do Christians base their belief in an after life on?
Lexilogio

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
BTW - I think the light comes at 3-4 minutes


Really! And how do you know this?


If the light comes at death, then it would be when the brain dies.


I'm not saying it definitively does or not. I haven't died. There have been some papers written putting a medical cause on the phenomena reported by some with near death experiences though.
genghiscant

Quote:
I'm not saying it definitively does or not. I haven't died. There have been some papers written putting a medical cause on the phenomena reported by some with near death experiences though.


A near death experience, or rather non-experience, is what I had & you poopooed it. Now you say scientific papers have been written on the white light theory. Seems to me you only give credence to events that support your after life hopes.
genghiscant

Quote:
If the light comes at death, then it would be when the brain dies


What if it comes just before the brain dies? What if it varies from person to person? What if it doesn't happen at all? You admit that you can't possibly know, so who are you to judge my experience?

What do you base your after life beliefs on?
The Boyg

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
I'm not saying it definitively does or not. I haven't died. There have been some papers written putting a medical cause on the phenomena reported by some with near death experiences though.


A near death experience, or rather non-experience, is what I had & you poopooed it. Now you say scientific papers have been written on the white light theory. Seems to me you only give credence to events that support your after life hopes.


Yours clearly wasn't near enough.
genghiscant

Quote:
Yours clearly wasn't near enough.


And yours isn't soon enough, ***Edited by Lexi***
Shaker

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Yours clearly wasn't near enough.


And yours isn't soon enough, dickhead.


The Boyg

Did you actually write this rule Shaker:
Quote:
1) This forum is for members of all religious persuasions, which means those of some religious affiliation and none at all. Inevitably this will give rise to debate, but however full and frank the exchange of ideas may be, please keep it civil and courteous. By all means criticise ideas but not people. Address the argument, not the person.


Farmer Geddon

The Boyg wrote:
Did you actually write this rule Shaker:
Quote:
1) This forum is for members of all religious persuasions, which means those of some religious affiliation and none at all. Inevitably this will give rise to debate, but however full and frank the exchange of ideas may be, please keep it civil and courteous. By all means criticise ideas but not people. Address the argument, not the person.




Well to be fair - we're all dickheads to somebody!

Some of you abuse others with flowery prose, some of us tell it as it is?

Which is why statements like the above are fucking pointless!!
Shaker

The Boyg wrote:
Did you actually write this rule Shaker:
Quote:
1) This forum is for members of all religious persuasions, which means those of some religious affiliation and none at all. Inevitably this will give rise to debate, but however full and frank the exchange of ideas may be, please keep it civil and courteous. By all means criticise ideas but not people. Address the argument, not the person.



No.
Farmer Geddon

Let me guess - you transferred the rule(s) from the old NGL site?
The Boyg

Shaker wrote:
The Boyg wrote:
Did you actually write this rule Shaker:
Quote:
1) This forum is for members of all religious persuasions, which means those of some religious affiliation and none at all. Inevitably this will give rise to debate, but however full and frank the exchange of ideas may be, please keep it civil and courteous. By all means criticise ideas but not people. Address the argument, not the person.



No.


Just that it was posted in your name, which would imply that you endorse it.
Shaker

You asked if I wrote it, and I answered your question.
The Boyg

Shaker wrote:
You asked if I wrote it, and I answered your question.


Okay.

Do you endorse this rule?

Do you see it as your responsibilty as admin to enforce this rule?
BashfulAnthony

The Boyg wrote:
Shaker wrote:
You asked if I wrote it, and I answered your question.


Okay.

Do you endorse this rule?

Do you see it as your responsibilty as admin to enforce this rule?


He obviously doesn't, never has, and the use of the term "dickhead" is about par for the course with him.

Regards,

Tony.
bnabernard

It would seem that the bible is informs like the acts of a play:-
Act one : The creation and scenes leading into the interval at the flood.
Act two: Post flood scenes involving the first coming and culminating in a second coming.
Act 3 : A temporary resolution to acts one and two’
Act 4: A final resolution as all previous acts are resolved in one final scene and the players live happily ever after  apart from those who got the sack in the final scene.

A cast of multitudes get your ticket and be invited to participate in a role of your own choice. Some require a re-appearance and some are more permanent than others.

bernard (hug)
Shaker

BashfulAnthony wrote:
The Boyg wrote:
Shaker wrote:
You asked if I wrote it, and I answered your question.


Okay.

Do you endorse this rule?

Do you see it as your responsibilty as admin to enforce this rule?


He obviously doesn't, never has, and the use of the term "dickhead" is about par for the course with him.

Regards,

Tony.

Except I haven't called anybody a dickhead, in the face of superhuman temptation and unimaginably abundant opportunities to do so.
Shaker

The Boyg wrote:
Shaker wrote:
You asked if I wrote it, and I answered your question.


Okay.

Do you endorse this rule?

Do you see it as your responsibilty as admin to enforce this rule?

Yes and yes, jointly with Lexi, who evidently saw it first and edited it accordingly as per the rules. Everybody's happy. Theoretically.
Farmer Geddon

Shaker wrote:
BashfulAnthony wrote:
The Boyg wrote:
Shaker wrote:
You asked if I wrote it, and I answered your question.


Okay.

Do you endorse this rule?

Do you see it as your responsibilty as admin to enforce this rule?


He obviously doesn't, never has, and the use of the term "dickhead" is about par for the course with him.

Regards,

Tony.


Except I haven't called anybody a dickhead, in the face of superhuman temptation and unimaginably abundant opportunities to do so.


Innit fantastic to see the old, bold,***Edited by Lexi*** bashers back..

God must have missed him!!
Powwow

Shakin,
"Except I haven't called anybody a dickhead,"

I'm waiting.
Farmer Geddon

.. he doesn't have to - we all know you are!
Powwow

You don't mean that. Now screw that cap back on your bottle of wine and go have a nap.
Farmer Geddon

.. whilst you just put the needle on the record?

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> All faiths and none
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum