Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Atheist chat
Pukon_the_Treen

Dawkins on laryngeal nerve of the giraffe


Link
Shaker

Nice one, PtT  
Leonard James

God moves in mysterious ways his wonders to perform.  
Lexilogio

I watched this - it was really fascinating.

He's also been involved in a special on Giant Squid in New Zealand, which also touches quite a bit on evolutionary links.

Did you know that the giant squid actually evolved down the cephalopod line? It's a type of snail....The vestiges of a shell are still there...
Pukon_the_Treen

Lexilogio,

Quote:
I watched this - it was really fascinating.

He's also been involved in a special on Giant Squid in New Zealand, which also touches quite a bit on evolutionary links.

Did you know that the giant squid actually evolved down the cephalopod line? It's a type of snail....The vestiges of a shell are still there...


It's great isn't it?  Persecuted over on the BBC board said something about evolution being an 'ugly' theory; I know he is probably insane, but it still seemed an astonishing thing to say.

One of the most powerful and 'spiritual' realisations of my life was this idea that all life is interrelated; we are cousins to the chimps, but distant cousins to the whales and the wallabies, even the squids and centipedes. Add that to the idea that the elements of our bodies come from the stars and you've got something you can't help but be moved by.

And the fundamentalists demand that we offer due consideration to a literal interpretation of ancient myths and expect us to be impressed, then they wonder why we boggle incredulously at them.
IvyOwl

Quote:
One of the most powerful and 'spiritual' realisations of my life was this idea that all life is interrelated; we are cousins to the chimps, but distant cousins to the whales and the wallabies, even the squids and centipedes. Add that to the idea that the elements of our bodies come from the stars and you've got something you can't help but be moved by.


That realisation is what inspires me and informs my rituals. I don't belong to any particular religion but there are times when standing back and taking the wider view is essential to keep a sense of proportion in your life and gain inspiration. Or just engage in joyful wonder.

Quote:
And the fundamentalists demand that we offer due consideration to a literal interpretation of ancient myths and expect us to be impressed, then they wonder why we boggle incredulously at them.


They have closed their minds to soooo much it's sad really. Letting the guesses of an ancient tribe inform their beliefs beggers belief!

IO
Pukon_the_Treen

Yes, this is all you have ever offered; the assertion that your opinions are informed by God and correct, but everyone else's are informed by man and incorrect. You have never offered any evidence or reasoning to support or defend this claim though, so it's just so much pompous and complacent gas really.
IvyOwl

Judders,

No doubt all this bluster you write is proving more and more to yourself that you are right but all it's doing to the rest of us is showing the depths of your lack of understanding . The extent of your arrogance. Your supreme ability to be illogical and your remarkable inability to follow a debate.

Congratulations my dear!

IO
Pukon_the_Treen

Lynne,

Quote:
Can't actually prove me wrong, can you Puke.


And as I have said before, the fact I can't prove you wrong doesn't magically make you right.

Quote:
The proof I have is a bible written by men over 2,000 years ago.


Yes, you have a book written by men and as far as I can tell (like all scripture), it's based on their traditions, laws, stories, imaginations, thoughts, speculations, and their somewhat limited understanding of the world. So what?

Quote:
What do you have in way of proof regarding the video?

They don't talk about proof in science, because every theory is provisional. They do talk about evidence though, and the evidence is in the video in the form of a dead giraffe. The scientists observe where the nerve goes, then they theorize about how and why it came to follow that route. The theory is supported by anatomy and the fossil record.

Quote:
My evidence is clear.


Your evidence is what exactly?

Quote:
There is no evidence in support of anything the scientist say regarding anything they depend on theories for.
You know it, I know it, and the blooming video has nothing interesting in it, but a dead Giraffe with it's throat sliced open for Gawkins to make statements based on theories.


You don't actually let yourself understand anything about science do you? Your stubborn deliberate ignorance is a source of immense strength and pride to you. How funny.

Quote:
Now show me one thing in all creation that actually proves there is no God. If you can't do that one simple thing then it is time to admit defeat.


Why would I want to do that? You don't get to be right just because nobody can prove you wrong; that's just daft. The way it works is that your theory gains weight when you present evidence and reasoning to support it. Let me know when you have any, or just admit defeat of course.
IvyOwl

Lynne,

Just in case you've gone back on your word not to read my posts could you please clear up something for me?

In one post you stated :-
Quote:
The choice to believe him or to listen to men as they make things up and those others who pretend because they do not have the ability to know if they are right or wrong.


Then in another you wrote:-
Quote:
The proof I have is a bible written by men over 2,000 years ago.


Why do you consider the men 2000 years ago to know more than men and women today with all the extra accumulated knowledge and investigatory tools etc?

Are you sure you are not just posting to try and wind everyone up?

You perform a useful role I have to say. In answering your near incomprehensible posts other posters think carefully and organise their own thoughts all the better.

You do a great service for agnostics/atheists.

IO
Leonard James

IvyOwl wrote:
Lynne,

Just in case you've gone back on your word not to read my posts could you please clear up something for me?

In one post you stated :-
Quote:
The choice to believe him or to listen to men as they make things up and those others who pretend because they do not have the ability to know if they are right or wrong.


Then in another you wrote:-
Quote:
The proof I have is a bible written by men over 2,000 years ago.


Why do you consider the men 2000 years ago to know more than men and women today with all the extra accumulated knowledge and investigatory tools etc?

Simple, IO ... it's because she needs to believe that, otherwise her world would fall apart.
ByFaith

And the proof that anything Judders Lady has said on this thread is wrong is ...
Leonard James

ByFaith wrote:
And the proof that anything Judders Lady has said on this thread is wrong is ...

The same as the proof that anything anybody else has said is wrong.  
Lexilogio

It's a shame that this thread has deviated from what was a very interesting documentary.

I would say that we are very blessed that God set up this world with the facility for evolution to occur.
Pukon_the_Treen

Yeah, enough of Lynne's brain-farts. Let's have some more anatomy:


Link


Link


Link


Link


Link

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Atheist chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum