Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
gone

deleted

deleted
Shaker

I've often agreed with him in the past; I'm happy to agree with him yet again.
Ketty

Christians in America and Britain who claim they are persecuted should "grow up", says former Archbishop Rowan Williams

It's all relative, but seen through the perspective of persecution world-wide, I agree with him.  Is he feeling a bit braver now he's not in the top job, I wonder?
cymrudynnion

Re: Good for Rowan

Floo wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news...ishop-rowan-williams-8770528.html

It is often the Christians who claim they are being persecuted in the UK who are doing the persecuting, especially where gays are concerned!
Amen to that
Ketty

Re: Good for Rowan

Floo wrote:
cymrudynnion wrote:

It is often the Christians who claim they are being persecuted in the UK who are doing the persecuting, especially where gays are concerned!


Amen to that


What, Amen to the fact that some 'Christians' are persecuting gays?   Or Amen to the fact that some 'Christians' need to grow up?  
northernstar

Strange how it's other religions who persecute Christians, atheists don't burn down churches or  synagogues or mosques for that matter. Yes, we've had Nazis and communists in the past but very rare, now.
Shaker

I always had the greatest respect for Rowan Williams, and am sorry that he's still not in the job. I don't think much of his successor. Williams wouldn't thank me for saying it - I suspect he's bloody glad to be out of it - but he ought to be. "Persecution is not being made to feel mildly uncomfortable" - truer words are all too rarely spoken. There are some places across the globe where Christians really are being truly persecuted for no other reason than the faith they hold, with all that goes along with it - verbal abuse is one thing but physical abuse is another; arrest without charge; very possibly detention without due process and even torture. There may well be murders for all I know: I don't keep up with the news of this sort of thing but I don't see it as a long shot to believe that in some places it goes on. Now that's persecution - not, as a great many in the West would have it, forthright challenge and critique of beliefs.

Some Christians who live in free, open societies, those who are perfectly free to hold their beliefs, broadcast or otherwise promulgate their beliefs, live their beliefs and freely assemble, are not doing the recipents of real persecution any favours at all.
Lexilogio

Shaker wrote:
I always had the greatest respect for Rowan Williams, and am sorry that he's still not in the job. I don't think much of his successor. Williams wouldn't thank me for saying it - I suspect he's bloody glad to be out of it - but he ought to be. "Persecution is not being made to feel mildly uncomfortable" - truer words are all too rarely spoken. There are some places across the globe where Christians really are being truly persecuted for no other reason than the faith they hold, with all that goes along with it - verbal abuse is one thing but physical abuse is another; arrest without charge; very possibly detention without due process and even torture. There may well be murders for all I know: I don't keep up with the news of this sort of thing but I don't see it as a long shot to believe that in some places it goes on. Now that's persecution - not, as a great many in the West would have it, forthright challenge and critique of beliefs.

Some Christians who live in free, open societies, those who are perfectly free to hold their beliefs, broadcast or otherwise promulgate their beliefs, live their beliefs and freely assemble, are not doing the recipents of real persecution any favours at all.


Its true. I've had a few comments for saying I go to church - but nothing really upsetting even.
cyberman

northernstar wrote:
Strange how it's other religions who persecute Christians, atheists don't burn down churches or  synagogues or mosques for that matter. Yes, we've had Nazis and communists in the past but very rare, now.


I don't know about burning down churches, but the chinese government are not a religion and they persecute christians.

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum