Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Jim

Everyday miracles?

On another forum, the question of miracles has raised its' head, and the questioner asked why God doesn't perform miracles.
My contention is that every life changed through accepting Christ Jesus is a miracle!
But how would yo quantify such a miracle?
bnabernard

Re: Everyday miracles?

Jim wrote:
On another forum, the question of miracles has raised its' head, and the questioner asked why God doesn't perform miracles.
My contention is that every life changed through accepting Christ Jesus is a miracle!
But how would yo quantify such a miracle?


Problem is Jim many lives are changed by commitment and the positivity that commitment encourages.
Many people live their lives without a reason whilst needing a reason, a reason for success and a reason for failure, caveats that give an excuse for failure thereby giving the person strength to pick themselves up and go again.

Religion as a whole provides people with reason and on that basis it can be any religion.

In the case of Christianity and its many doctrines life changes are not always considered to be beneficial, some more strict and demanding others more liberal and my experience of the young who enter BG through say Alpha and such like there becomes an enthusiastic flurry that mellows, but life changing it is, because of it's newly encouraged positive thinking and outlook, other people are unlucky because God has not come into their lives.
However attend a course on positive thinking and apply positivity to the things that have to be achieved and happiness comes in the same way.

It's all rally round the flag.

Whist there is the nature to be part of and sharing, a bonding almost gang like culture then any group activity is going to be blessed to the individual.
Note how some are more comfortable in one congregation to another, though where a different people are experienced on a temporary basis comfort is found in like mindedness permanency is preferred in familiar environment.

Miracles? parting of water, walking on water, things where impossibilities happen, on my many near death experiences they can be explained, so while I think of them as miraculous I also think of them as falling the right side of the fifty fifty chance, I was struck by lightning, so have others one Canadian ranger seven times but one to many it would seem.

However there's some input for you, I expect you've had much the same wherever you saw the thread originally.

bernard (hug)
LeClerc

Re: Everyday miracles?

Morning Jim

Jim wrote:
On another forum, the question of miracles has raised its' head, and the questioner asked why God doesn't perform miracles.
My contention is that every life changed through accepting Christ Jesus is a miracle!
But how would yo quantify such a miracle?


By the Spirit fruit produced and the ripple effect on others lives.

Y'shua said

John 15
7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

LeClerc
bnabernard

Where they considered gnostics/nazerites?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazirite

bernard (hug)
LeClerc

Morning Bernie

bnabernard wrote:
Where they considered gnostics/nazerites?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazirite

bernard (hug)


Why do you confuse Nazirite with Gnostic ?

Some may have taken a Nazirite vow see Numbers 6

LeClerc
bnabernard

LeClerc wrote:
Morning Bernie

bnabernard wrote:
Where they considered gnostics/nazerites?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazirite

bernard (hug)


Why do you confuse Nazirite with Gnostic ?

Some may have taken a Nazirite vow see Numbers 6

LeClerc


Your love of the greek Leclerc, simply pandering.

It would seem that to call a person a gnostic is like tainting them with leprosy, no one it seems likes to accept that there are some that have made a bond with God and recieved something for their trouble so they brand them with the greek term gostic and condemn gnosticism and say they are untrustworthy,  

Now what needs to be addressed is when did the Nazerite come into being, was Melechizedeck a nazerite, where his people nazerites, going back further, was Noah and his family nazerite, was Enoch nazerite?

Try a little Solomon on it ?

bernard (hug)
LeClerc

Hi Bernie

bnabernard wrote:
LeClerc wrote:
Morning Bernie

bnabernard wrote:
Where they considered gnostics/nazerites?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazirite

bernard (hug)


Why do you confuse Nazirite with Gnostic ?

Some may have taken a Nazirite vow see Numbers 6

LeClerc


Your love of the greek Leclerc, simply pandering.

It would seem that to call a person a gnostic is like tainting them with leprosy, no one it seems likes to accept that there are some that have made a bond with God and recieved something for their trouble so they brand them with the greek term gostic and condemn gnosticism and say they are untrustworthy,  

Now what needs to be addressed is when did the Nazerite come into being, was Melechizedeck a nazerite, where his people nazerites, going back further, was Noah and his family nazerite, was Enoch nazerite?

Try a little Solomon on it ?

bernard (hug)


As I said

Why do you confuse Nazirite with Gnostic ?

LeClerc
bnabernard

Quote:
As I said

Why do you confuse Nazirite with Gnostic ?

LeClerc


What would you say is the difference?

bernard (hug)
LeClerc

LeClerc

bnabernard wrote:
Quote:
As I said

Why do you confuse Nazirite with Gnostic ?

LeClerc


What would you say is the difference?

bernard (hug)


You admit then there is a difference.

LeClerc
Jim

Bernie;
Gnostiscism  was not Christian in origin.
It was probably a development of the melting pot that was Ptolemaic Egypt. The Hellenists who infested the country infused their own theological ideas with elements gleaned from the Memphite priesthood, thus creating the 'mystery' religions such as Isis-Osiris, Jupiter-Ammon etc  They probably knew little of the actual Egyptian hotchpotch of theological thought, and cared even less. What emerged was the 'gnosos' cult of secret truths, mysticism, allegory and myth...which found a ready market in the late second century AD Greco-Roman world.
The concept of secret truths, mysticism and allegorical literature it produced has nothing of Christ, nor the essentially Jewish nature of the origins of Christianity.
It can therefore be confidently discarded as incompatable with any form of mainstream Christian theology.
bnabernard

Jim wrote:
Bernie;
Gnostiscism  was not Christian in origin.
It was probably a development of the melting pot that was Ptolemaic Egypt. The Hellenists who infested the country infused their own theological ideas with elements gleaned from the Memphite priesthood, thus creating the 'mystery' religions such as Isis-Osiris, Jupiter-Ammon etc  They probably knew little of the actual Egyptian hotchpotch of theological thought, and cared even less. What emerged was the 'gnosos' cult of secret truths, mysticism, allegory and myth...which found a ready market in the late second century AD Greco-Roman world.
The concept of secret truths, mysticism and allegorical literature it produced has nothing of Christ, nor the essentially Jewish nature of the origins of Christianity.
It can therefore be confidently discarded as incompatable with any form of mainstream Christian theology.



Ah Jim an actual human being with actual words to say, like an oasis in a desert  

Yes I understand the implications but as LC seems to like the greek terminology I thought he might prefer to work with that  

I wonder whether Moses would be considered in any way secretive, mystical given the reference to the nag hamanni scriptures as gnostic rather than the writings of Nazerite gods by which I mean inspired by God.

There does seem a nature by which the jewish sect writtings are given the lurgy by people who don't understand them, who find them a mystery.

bernard (hug)
bnabernard

8 All the days of his Naziriteship he is holy unto the LORD.

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0406.htm#8

In Modern Hebrew the word "nazir" is commonly used for monks, both Christian and Buddhist - this meaning having largely displaced the original Biblical meaning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazirite

bernard (hug)

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum