Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Bible study
Lexilogio

Gospel Sunday 19th Feb 2011

Quote:
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.


   43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Lexilogio

Love is about making a conscious decision to forgive, to move on and to stop our lives being dominated by the hurt caused in the past.

I listened to a talk recently given by a woman whose mission was to exhort people to sit and have coffee with those they would not normally converse with. It was a US talk - so her example was for a left wing democrat to chat with a right wing republican. The idea is that you keep away from the topics where the great divide lies, and share your conversation on topics where you might find commonality.

I found myself thinking of this during the Gospel reading this morning. Sometimes there are things to learn. Sometimes it is just about learning that those who hold opposing views are not monsters, and trying to get rid of some of the hate divides which creep into society.
Samuel Vimes

Do you think that any part of this Gospel could be applied to recent events on this messageboard?
Lexilogio

Samuel Vimes wrote:
Do you think that any part of this Gospel could be applied to recent events on this messageboard?


I didn't post the gospel because of recent events here. I posted it because I thought it might be useful to have regular threads on the Gospel readings.

It is important to embrace those with whom we may disagree. But only when both parties are able to engage towards developing trust. It is always good to forgive and move on. Our vicar talked this morning about a lady who had forgiven those who tortured her. Forgiveness though, does not entail allowing the behaviours to continue. We can forgive - but that does not mean that changes aren't necessary.
Samuel Vimes

Lexilogio wrote:
Samuel Vimes wrote:
Do you think that any part of this Gospel could be applied to recent events on this messageboard?


I didn't post the gospel because of recent events here. I posted it because I thought it might be useful to have regular threads on the Gospel readings.

It is important to embrace those with whom we may disagree. But only when both parties are able to engage towards developing trust. It is always good to forgive and move on. Our vicar talked this morning about a lady who had forgiven those who tortured her. Forgiveness though, does not entail allowing the behaviours to continue. We can forgive - but that does not mean that changes aren't necessary.


Quote:
39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.


?
Lexilogio

Turning the other cheek is about not responding with aggression. It doesn't mean that you should permit erroneous behaviour to continue.

For example, if my children are rude - that doesn't mean I shouldn't tell them off, it means I shouldn't retaliate with rudeness back. People do not learn from "an eye for an eye", but from example.
Powwow

My traditional enemies were the Blackfoot. In a few short years things changed rapidly. The Cree joined in the Riel rebellion and after, some were hanged and a couple of our chiefs were thrown in prison. One Cree chief, Poundmaker died shortly after his release from prison. Prison had broken him. Chief Poundmaker died in the home of his adopted father, chief Crowfoot of the Blackfoot confederacy.
Lexilogio

pow wow wrote:
My traditional enemies were the Blackfoot. In a few short years things changed rapidly. The Cree joined in the Riel rebellion and after, some were hanged and a couple of our chiefs were thrown in prison. One Cree chief, Poundmaker died shortly after his release from prison. Prison had broken him. Chief Poundmaker died in the home of his adopted father, chief Crowfoot of the Blackfoot confederacy.


(((Pow Wow)))
Samuel Vimes

Lexilogio wrote:
Turning the other cheek is about not responding with aggression. It doesn't mean that you should permit erroneous behaviour to continue.

For example, if my children are rude - that doesn't mean I shouldn't tell them off, it means I shouldn't retaliate with rudeness back. People do not learn from "an eye for an eye", but from example.


Well, that's your interpretation.

To me Jesus appears to be saying that if someone hurts you you should be entirely passive, even going so far as to offer them further opportunities to hurt you.

Quote:
39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.


A difficult code to try to live by, certainly, but exactly what Christ did on the cross.
Powwow

Lexi,
Sorry, but there is a little part of me that can't help feeling sorry for Judders Lady. How ever I know you are correct. I'm afraid JL would view an olive branch from any of us as a sign she was right all along.

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Bible study
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum