Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Lexilogio

Guns and Christianity

Is it reasonable to have a gun in the house? Should a Christian have a gun?
Jim

Re: Guns and Christianity

Surely that depends on circumstances?
Farmers need guns, but even then, they should ( and, legally, must) be kept in secure locked cabinets - separate from any ammunition.
As for keeping a gun for self defence?
No.
bnabernard

How about taking it a step further and ask, should a christian country have a gun?

bernard (hug)
LeClerc

Re: Guns and Christianity

Hi Lexi

Lexilogio wrote:
Is it reasonable to have a gun in the house? Should a Christian have a gun?


Why would a follower of Messiah Y'shua need a gun in the house ?

LeClerc
cyberman

Re: Guns and Christianity

LeClerc wrote:

Why would a follower of Messiah Y'shua need a gun in the house ?

LeClerc


See Jim's post above. If they are a farmer and need to protect their flocks from wolves or something, then they might need one. But pistols and assualt rifles, no reason whatsoever.
cymrudynnion

Re: Guns and Christianity

cyberman wrote:
LeClerc wrote:

Why would a follower of Messiah Y'shua need a gun in the house ?

LeClerc


See Jim's post above. If they are a farmer and need to protect their flocks from wolves or something, then they might need one. But pistols and assualt rifles, no reason whatsoever.
SWhat sort of pistol?
cyberman

Re: Guns and Christianity

cymrudynnion wrote:
cyberman wrote:
LeClerc wrote:

Why would a follower of Messiah Y'shua need a gun in the house ?

LeClerc


See Jim's post above. If they are a farmer and need to protect their flocks from wolves or something, then they might need one. But pistols and assualt rifles, no reason whatsoever.
SWhat sort of pistol?


I don't bloody well know - just get on and make your point.
Paul

Guns for hunting are fine. I'm against keeping guns for self-defence. I do not believe there is any right per se to use deadly force and guns are by design meant to be deadly weapons. From a Christian perspective the possession of a gun for self-defence is abhorrent, at least to my mind. I accept that in defending onself loss of life might be inevitable and it is ultimately for God to judge the heart of such a person but it is not a right. Indeed, from a Christian perspective one should do all they can to prevent the loss of life. I do not think it is any accident that Christianity from the beginning was essentially pacifist.
Lexilogio

I do accept that guns for hunting - protecting animals from wildlife - is different to keeping guns for self defence.

Now I don't have any guns. I don't see the need. But I was interested to hear views, as they seem inordinately popular in the US.
cyberman

Lexilogio wrote:
I do accept that guns for hunting - protecting animals from wildlife - is different to keeping guns for self defence.

Now I don't have any guns. I don't see the need. But I was interested to hear views, as they seem inordinately popular in the US.


In the US, hunters believe they have the constitutional right to Harm Bears.
bnabernard

A question I've often asked  (and is often asked) is: why did the disciples have swords when Jesus was arrested?
It would seem to indicate a further need for protection while being in the presence of the son of God?

bernard (hug)
cyberman

bnabernard wrote:
A question I've often asked  (and is often asked) is: why did the disciples have swords when Jesus was arrested?
It would seem to indicate a further need for protection while being in the presence of the son of God?

bernard (hug)


I'm not sure about that.

If such a level of additional protection was "needed", then why did Jesus disapprove?

Are we supposed to strive to follow his example, or theirs?
bnabernard

I don't think he disaproved and it is explained that he Jesus, had to be counted among the lawless, which in retrospect places the use of weapons amonng the lawless, while in the hands of the rightious.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bi...uk&c=22&v=35&t=KJV#35
Luk 22:36   Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.  


Luk 22:37   For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.  

Luk 22:38   And they said, Lord, behold, here [are] two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.


One can though be led into debate over the meaning of him being recorded as saying (underlined)

Was it simply a fullfilment of prophesy, or an end to those of God requiring arms, or perhaps something else.

bernard (hug)
LeClerc

Morning Bernie

bnabernard wrote:
A question I've often asked  (and is often asked) is: why did the disciples have swords when Jesus was arrested?
It would seem to indicate a further need for protection while being in the presence of the son of God?

bernard (hug)


Are the ones best equipped to carry swords, as weapons, the ones who never have to use them ?

LeClerc
bnabernard

cymrudynnion

Re: Guns and Christianity

cyberman wrote:
cymrudynnion wrote:
cyberman wrote:
LeClerc wrote:

Why would a follower of Messiah Y'shua need a gun in the house ?

LeClerc


See Jim's post above. If they are a farmer and need to protect their flocks from wolves or something, then they might need one. But pistols and assualt rifles, no reason whatsoever.
SWhat sort of pistol?


I don't bloody well know - just get on and make your point.
In the sport of athletics you need a gun to start races in Track and Field.
JamesJah

There is one country that has discovered how to take over the world with out using a gun, China! Now how are they doing that and what are they using?

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum