Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Atheist chat
Silver

How to handle an unwelcome invitation

Quote:
Academic debate on controversial topics is fine, but those topics need to have a basis in reality. I would not invite a creationist to a debate on campus for the same reason that I would not invite an alchemist, a flat-earther, an astrologer, a psychic, or a Holocaust revisionist. These ideas have no scientific support, and that is why they have all been discarded by credible scholars. Creationism is in the same category.



http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngul...how_to_respond_to_requests_to.php


For those who don't know, the Discovery Institute is a lie machine for creationism.
Leonard James

Re: How to handle an unwelcome invitation

Silver wrote:
Quote:
Academic debate on controversial topics is fine, but those topics need to have a basis in reality. I would not invite a creationist to a debate on campus for the same reason that I would not invite an alchemist, a flat-earther, an astrologer, a psychic, or a Holocaust revisionist. These ideas have no scientific support, and that is why they have all been discarded by credible scholars. Creationism is in the same category.



http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngul...how_to_respond_to_requests_to.php


For those who don't know, the Discovery Institute is a lie machine for creationism.

Thanks for that, Silver. It's hearing the big guns like Gotelli that encourages us little bow and arrow types to keep at it.  :twisted:
Silver

In my young days when I first discovered religion was all a fraud, I thought I could really make a difference and eradicate what was just another superstition but I soon came to realise that religion is so deeply entrenched in society that it will be a long process with many people chipping away at it over a long time.

But I have seen results. Religion is becoming less important amongst the educated peoples of the world and increasingly people are rejecting it for many reasons. I think if we could come back a century from now, christianity along with islam and other religions will all be very minor religion with maybe a few million adherents each who will be either humoured or ignored.
SusanDoris

Silver

I think you are probably right (but then I'm an optimist) Daniel Dennett is to be in London in April and I've put my name down to go with other members of our Humanist group to hear him. The whole subject is receiving much more of an airing nowadays.
bigfrankus

HI

Silver wrote:
In my young days when I first discovered religion was all a fraud, I thought I could really make a difference and eradicate what was just another superstition but I soon came to realise that religion is so deeply entrenched in society that it will be a long process with many people chipping away at it over a long time.

But I have seen results. Religion is becoming less important amongst the educated peoples of the world and increasingly people are rejecting it for many reasons. I think if we could come back a century from now, christianity along with islam and other religions will all be very minor religion with maybe a few million adherents each who will be either humoured or ignored.


MAN CANNOT CHANGE WHAT GOD HAS MADE!!

AND NEITHER WILL U!!
Farmer Geddon

Actually Silver I have a minor concern - Ok apart from the ignorant that come out with statements like the above, I do hope that Christianity will become a marginal position to have.  

As the story of the resurrection is rejected by the populace as nothing more than a myth, like other popular stories and is lumped in with other legends, the stories of King Arthur and Robin Hood for example..

My fear is that the back-arsed religion of Islam will take hold instead, with all its evilness.  

We are talking about a religion that is going through the same traumas that Christianity went through in the Dark ages, but in the 21st Century, with all the technology we have in this period: Guns, Bombs and weapons of mass destruction instead of Bows and Arrows, knives and swords.

The Muslims in the Middle-East are a much greater threat to modern humanity than any Christian/Pope because they are following what is tantamount to the inquisition...

Or is it just me?
Farmer Geddon

Re: HI

Oh BTW:

bigfrankus wrote:
MAN CANNOT CHANGE WHAT GOD HAS MADE!!

AND NEITHER WILL U!!


Man made God - So Man can turn it into whatever The Man wants.




















































SusanDoris

LD
I think you are right in both of these posts. There most definitely needs to be a strong, secular/humanist structure in place, so that there is not a vacuum to be filled by fanatical Islam when Christianity is seen clearly to be based on a superstition.
bigfrankus

hi

soon u and all the world will know that Christianity is the only religion and everything else is man-made nonsense and lies
Phyllis Officle

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
soon u and all the world will know that Christianity is the only religion and everything else is man-made nonsense and lies


We already know what is man-made and lies, with Xtianity being included in them!
Farmer Geddon

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
soon u and all the world will know that Christianity is the only religion and everything else is man-made nonsense and lies


Look - do us all a favour...  Take your own life and then come back and haunt us...  Can you do that for us all lovie .. can you? can you?


The sooner the better for you; and all that come in contact with you...

Jesus is waiting for you....



(Disclaimer - if he/she/it does then thank fuck, or Jesus, for it is what it needs, death is too good for it).

In fact; if it suddenly goes silent... then I will believe there is a god.... with no guilt that it may no longer exist - in fact it will be a blessing...
bigfrankus

Re: hi

Lucifers Duck wrote:
bigfrankus wrote:
soon u and all the world will know that Christianity is the only religion and everything else is man-made nonsense and lies


Look - do us all a favour...  Take your own life and then come back and haunt us...  Can you do that for us all lovie .. can you? can you?


The sooner the better for you; and all that come in contact with you...

Jesus is waiting for you....



(Disclaimer - if he/she/it does then thank fuck, or Jesus, for it is what it needs, death is too good for it).

In fact; if it suddenly goes silent... then I will believe there is a god.... with no guilt that it may no longer exist - in fact it will be a blessing...


u will regret that!!
Silver

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
u will regret that!!



You have one message which you endlessly spam on christian forums. NORMAL people get tired of it instantly. You are a prize bore, BF. You have nothing new to say and even if you were handing out sack fulls of £50 notes, we would still not believe you.
Silver

Lucifers Duck wrote:
My fear is that the back-arsed religion of Islam will take hold instead, with all its evilness.  

We are talking about a religion that is going through the same traumas that Christianity went through in the Dark ages, but in the 21st Century, with all the technology we have in this period: Guns, Bombs and weapons of mass destruction instead of Bows and Arrows, knives and swords.

The Muslims in the Middle-East are a much greater threat to modern humanity than any Christian/Pope because they are following what is tantamount to the inquisition...

Or is it just me?



I do have hopes for islam. I know there are a lot of crazies in the religion but many of them are also very greedy. There is nothing like lots of money and goods to make people want a peaceful life. When muslims come to the west, they cannot help but be contaminated by it. They want the good life too. The ones causing trouble live in dirt holes like Gaza and have nothing to lose. In Britain, many muslims are doing well and are happy to keep the status quo. It is said that just 1 in 3 muslims regularly attend a mosque in the UK.

As they get better educated and realise that they can have a good future, I hope that what is happening even now to christianity happens to islam and the religion starts breaking up and becoming peaceful. Despite what we read in the newspapers, many normal muslims are as horrified as we are when they read of muslim atrocities. Look at what has just happened in Pakistan. The people there are cricket mad but they may not see another live match there for a decade because of the nutters who attacked the Sri Lankan team the other day. I think the fanatics have shot themselves in the foot here and support for them will decline in Pakistyan because of it.

It was said a few years back that a close man to Bin Laden was visiting some friends in southern Egypt where it was very quiet because of some recent bombings and he saw how westerners staying away was hurting his "muslim brothers", that they were losing their livelihoods over it.
Silver

Re: HI

bigfrankus wrote:
MAN CANNOT CHANGE WHAT GOD HAS MADE!!

AND NEITHER WILL U!!


The Earth has changed beyond recognition in some ways in the last millennia.

Bible texts have been altered many times.

What can't man alter apart from the obstinacy of someone like yourself who is completely unwilling to learn anything.
Silver

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
soon u and all the world will know that Christianity is the only religion and everything else is man-made nonsense and lies



Still waiting for some evidence....... :roll:
bigfrankus

Re: hi

Silver wrote:
bigfrankus wrote:
u will regret that!!



You have one message which you endlessly spam on christian forums. NORMAL people get tired of it instantly. You are a prize bore, BF. You have nothing new to say and even if you were handing out sack fulls of £50 notes, we would still not believe you.


no - but u would take the cash - thereby showing your true hypocrisy!!

if u find me boring stop reading my posts and complaining!!
bigfrankus

Re: HI

Silver wrote:
bigfrankus wrote:
MAN CANNOT CHANGE WHAT GOD HAS MADE!!

AND NEITHER WILL U!!


The Earth has changed beyond recognition in some ways in the last millennia.

Bible texts have been altered many times.

What can't man alter apart from the obstinacy of someone like yourself who is completely unwilling to learn anything.


i know of things u simply do not care 2 believe
bigfrankus

Re: hi

Silver wrote:
bigfrankus wrote:
soon u and all the world will know that Christianity is the only religion and everything else is man-made nonsense and lies



Still waiting for some evidence......


2 BILLION CHRISTIANS - THE BIBLE - MANY TESTIMONIES OF MANY PEOPLE!!

in time - u will have the evidence which will remove all your doubts!!
Farmer Geddon

"2 BILLION CHRISTIANS - THE BIBLE - MANY TESTIMONIES OF MANY PEOPLE!!" means fuck all [edited] ....

99% are christian in name only - just a tick box away from being an Atheist.

Who wouldn't know god from a gardener or jesus from a jedi...

The bible?  a bunch of stories told to illiterate goat-herders to keep them placated...

Testimonies from the mental deficient don't count either - which reminds me, whatever happened to "aThruster"?
Silver

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
no - but u would take the cash - thereby showing your true hypocrisy!!

if u find me boring stop reading my posts and complaining!!



For not much money you can start your own forum up and post all you want on it all day long and ban anyone who disagrees with you.
Silver

Re: HI

bigfrankus wrote:
i know of things u simply do not care 2 believe



I can imagine and would like to continue remaining ignorant of them.
Silver

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
2 BILLION CHRISTIANS - THE BIBLE - MANY TESTIMONIES OF MANY PEOPLE!!

in time - u will have the evidence which will remove all your doubts!!



These are OLD figures and christians have been declining in every educated country since then. Only amongst the uneducated in rural China have their figures gone up.
bigfrankus

hi

Lucifers Duck wrote:
"2 BILLION CHRISTIANS - THE BIBLE - MANY TESTIMONIES OF MANY PEOPLE!!"

99% are christian in name only - just a tick box away from being an Atheist.

Who wouldn't know god from a gardener or jesus from a jedi...

The bible?  a bunch of stories told to illiterate goat-herders to keep them placated...

Testimonies from the mental deficient don't count either - which reminds me, whatever happened to "aThruster"?


then why do u keep quoting from it then

me thinks thou doth protest 2 much
Farmer Geddon

Re: hi

To show my knowledge of the whole Bible is vastly superior to yours and Huw's for that matter..
rick

Re: How to handle an unwelcome invitation

Silver wrote:
Quote:
Academic debate on controversial topics is fine, but those topics need to have a basis in reality. I would not invite a creationist to a debate on campus for the same reason that I would not invite an alchemist, a flat-earther, an astrologer, a psychic, or a Holocaust revisionist. These ideas have no scientific support, and that is why they have all been discarded by credible scholars. Creationism is in the same category.



http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngul...how_to_respond_to_requests_to.php


For those who don't know, the Discovery Institute is a lie machine for creationism.


What is the missionary position on this? Can they yet detect when a woman is lying?  :lol:

Big Frankus are you a Virgin or just vergin on the ridiculous?
Farmer Geddon

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bigfrankus

Re: hi

Lucifers Duck wrote:
To show my knowledge of the whole Bible is vastly superior to yours and Huw's for that matter..


ha - that's a laugh - this from a guy who says it is all made up

if that is not a contradiction in terms then wot is
Silver

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
ha - that's a laugh - this from a guy who says it is all made up

if that is not a contradiction in terms then wot is



What does it matter whether you believe the bible or not? Even a door post knows more about the bible than you or Huw. You just quote from wordsfromsatan instead of using the bible to find out what Jesus really said.
northernstar

Silver, you are the flipside of Frankie, you both need psychiatric help....fast.
rick

I am here did someone call?

JC
Farmer Geddon

Well R.... ummm no, but whilst you here have a word with Wee Frank and aThruster... they are taking your name in vain    
rick

Lucifers Duck wrote:
Well R.... ummm no, but whilst you here have a word with Wee Frank and aThruster... they are taking your name in vain    

 
Which one?
I got a few of them and it plays havoc with my credit cards.
Every one thinks they can have a free feed or wine is on tap. ;-)
Lexilogio

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
Lucifers Duck wrote:
To show my knowledge of the whole Bible is vastly superior to yours and Huw's for that matter..


ha - that's a laugh - this from a guy who says it is all made up

if that is not a contradiction in terms then wot is


Actually I think you will find - if you care to discuss the finer points of part of an OT text - that LD, as RM, is quite knowledgable.
Farmer Geddon

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:

ha - that's a laugh - this from a guy who says it is all made up

if that is not a contradiction in terms then wot is


At least what I know of the whole bible is not as Inconsistent or as discrepant as yours...

You need to run away as fast as you can from the Mudgies and start reading the Gospels again for a more honest perspective....
Farmer Geddon

Re: hi

Lexilogio wrote:

Actually I think you will find - if you care to discuss the finer points of part of an OT text - that LD, as RM, is quite knowledgable.


Awwww shucks - thanks Lexi    
rick

Re: hi

Lexilogio wrote:
bigfrankus wrote:
Lucifers Duck wrote:
To show my knowledge of the whole Bible is vastly superior to yours and Huw's for that matter..


ha - that's a laugh - this from a guy who says it is all made up

if that is not a contradiction in terms then wot is


Actually I think you will find - if you care to discuss the finer points of part of an OT text - that LD, as RM, is quite knowledgable.


Would you say there knowledge as Atheists is the same as a Christian man/woman with the Holy Spirit?

How do light and darkness have anything in common. I have been looking at the bible since I joined this forum. So tell me why does Christ warn about the light inside you being darkness and that being really dark? (I took a double take at what I just wrote.) What does he mean by that statement? Anybody!
Lexilogio

I didn't say he understood about God, I said he was quite knowledgeable about the words in the Bible. Some athiests are interested and have in depth knowledge of the Bible as others might have in depth knowledge of a piece of literature.
Silver

I think if you know the bible well enough and a bit about it's background, you must be an atheist. Many christians only have a sketchy idea of it and only know the good bits.
Phyllis Officle

Silver wrote:
I think if you know the bible well enough and a bit about it's background, you must be an atheist. Many christians only have a sketchy idea of it and only know the good bits.
Thats all they choose to know! Not that there are many good bits! It is pretty shit!
Shaft2101

Silver wrote:
I think if you know the bible well enough and a bit about it's background, you must be an atheist. Many christians only have a sketchy idea of it and only know the good bits.


There's actually a lot of truth to this ... one of the key things in driving my gradual deconversion was actually reading the Bible in its entirety. Go figure ;)
bigfrankus

Re: hi

Silver wrote:
bigfrankus wrote:
ha - that's a laugh - this from a guy who says it is all made up

if that is not a contradiction in terms then wot is



What does it matter whether you believe the bible or not? Even a door post knows more about the bible than you or Huw. You just quote from wordsfromsatan instead of using the bible to find out what Jesus really said.


is this the same satan and Jesus that u said do not exist ?

r u a closet believer ?

hmm - i think u really do believe
bigfrankus

hi

northernstar wrote:
Silver, you are the flipside of Frankie, you both need psychiatric help....fast.


exactly - this guy Silver maintains that it is all made up

then he says "read the bible to know wot Jesus really said "

the guy is a blatant hypocrite and so is LD

both of them r happy to say that all about God Jesus and Mary and the bible is all made up

then they will quote from the bible - utter hypocrisy!!

maybe they r both closet christians!!

both of them do not make any sense
bigfrankus

Re: hi

Lexilogio wrote:
bigfrankus wrote:
Lucifers Duck wrote:
To show my knowledge of the whole Bible is vastly superior to yours and Huw's for that matter..


ha - that's a laugh - this from a guy who says it is all made up

if that is not a contradiction in terms then wot is


Actually I think you will find - if you care to discuss the finer points of part of an OT text - that LD, as RM, is quite knowledgable.


u missed my point lexi - why would an atheist - who believes that God Jesus Mary and the bible are all made up - then bother to discuss wot is in the bible ?

why quote from His Holy Book then say He does not even exist ?

it is utter hypocrisy!!

in the dictionary

hypocrisy - an atheist with a bible

wot a hoot!!
bigfrankus

Re: hi

Lucifers Duck wrote:
bigfrankus wrote:

ha - that's a laugh - this from a guy who says it is all made up

if that is not a contradiction in terms then wot is


At least what I know of the whole bible is not as Inconsistent or as discrepant as yours...

You need to run away as fast as you can from the Mudgies and start reading the Gospels again for a more honest perspective....


again - this from a guy who says it is all lies - that it is all made up

wot an utter hypocrite u really r!!

declare yourself once and for all - r u a believer or an atheist ?

an atheist who reads the bible - God's Holy Word for all the world - wot a laugh!!
bigfrankus

Re: hi

Lucifers Duck wrote:
Lexilogio wrote:

Actually I think you will find - if you care to discuss the finer points of part of an OT text - that LD, as RM, is quite knowledgable.


Awwww shucks - thanks Lexi    


why would i discuss the bible with sum 1 who says it is all lies - that it is all made up

i accept 100% wot is written in the bible - i do not feel the need like some to critically appraise it - i accept God - i accept His Word

i am not so arrogant as to think i can then de-bunk it all - i believe in Him!!

an atheist who loves 2 quote the bible - hypocrisy!!
Shaft2101

It's not hypocritical at all.

Or I suppose Christians aren't allowed to read the Qur'an so they can debunk it and convert those heathen Muslims to the One True Faith?
bigfrankus

hi

Silver wrote:
I think if you know the bible well enough and a bit about it's background, you must be an atheist. Many christians only have a sketchy idea of it and only know the good bits.


why does an atheist want to know anything about the bible ?

u say it is all lies - then u say let's discuss these lies from the bible

hypocrite!!
bigfrankus

hi

Shaft2101 wrote:
It's not hypocritical at all.

Or I suppose Christians aren't allowed to read the Qur'an so they can debunk it and convert those heathen Muslims to the One True Faith?


we do not need to read the koran - we have the truth of God in our hearts

it is utter hypocrisy - all these atheists reading the bible - why ?

u don't believe a word of it - u say it is all made up

i have read various parts of the bible - i accept it!!

u atheists read it to pick holes in it - u reject God so why read His Holy Word ?
Farmer Geddon

Have you read the Qur'an  BF?
Farmer Geddon

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
Lucifers Duck wrote:
bigfrankus wrote:

ha - that's a laugh - this from a guy who says it is all made up

if that is not a contradiction in terms then wot is


At least what I know of the whole bible is not as Inconsistent or as discrepant as yours...

You need to run away as fast as you can from the Mudgies and start reading the Gospels again for a more honest perspective....


again - this from a guy who says it is all lies - that it is all made up

wot an utter hypocrite u really r!!

declare yourself once and for all - r u a believer or an atheist ?

an atheist who reads the bible - God's Holy Word for all the world - wot a laugh!!


Yes I have read the Bibles - including the "Koran"...

Have you?

Actually I doubt you have read anything - if you had you would be a better person...

Care to list 100 books you have read outside the 'Bible'?
bigfrankus

hi

Lucifers Duck wrote:
Have you read the Qur'an  BF?


no - and i never will

i accept God's Holy Word in the Bible

islam denies that Jesus is the Son of God - it denies the divinity of Christ

Jesus Himself said "if u deny me i will deny u before My Father"
Farmer Geddon

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
Lucifers Duck wrote:
Have you read the Qur'an  BF?


no - and i never will

i accept God's Holy Word in the Bible

islam denies that Jesus is the Son of God - it denies the divinity of Christ

Jesus Himself said "if u deny me i will deny u before My Father"


Hey - sorry to burst a bubble here, but so did the vast majority of the manuscripts written down before the Nicene council was convened to suppress Arius and his correct idea that Jesus was lesser than God... Luckily some survived.. So the argument between Arius and Eusibius/Athanasius, who may have won the 'debate' and tried to eradicate the inconvenience of Arius' findings, by creating what we now call the "Gospel", which actually ignored the truth by editing what they had, to fit the "theology" they were trying to espouse, by ignoring this truth and demanding all other "testaments" were destroyed was negated..

But was it?

Rumour and counter-rumour has been prevalent ever since..
Shaft2101

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
Shaft2101 wrote:
It's not hypocritical at all.

Or I suppose Christians aren't allowed to read the Qur'an so they can debunk it and convert those heathen Muslims to the One True Faith?


we do not need to read the koran - we have the truth of God in our hearts

it is utter hypocrisy - all these atheists reading the bible - why ?

u don't believe a word of it - u say it is all made up

i have read various parts of the bible - i accept it!!

u atheists read it to pick holes in it - u reject God so why read His Holy Word ?


Would you rather Atheists didn't have a familiarity with the Bible and just bashed it out of ignorance?

No. If we argued that the Bible is nonsense without knowing it, you'd quite rightly say that we're not entitled to an opinion on scripture. Our reading it and engaging with theists about it doesn't mean we buy in to it, but scriptural debate is a fundamental part to critiquing religion.

Plus, many of us are familiar with scripture because we haven't always been Atheists. I, for one, read it in its entirety twice (and obviously picked at it a lot too) when I was a Christian, which is more than can be said than 90% of "Christians". Moreover, a good understanding of biblical history, theology and exegesis can often be driving forces in why Christians either move towards Atheism or more liberal branches of Christianity, because a sound understanding of how the faith has come to be as it is is arguably a more cutting indictment against it being taken wholly seriously than any argument one can make from an entirely secular point of view.

Though, as per usual, this post will just be completely wasted on you.
Farmer Geddon

The Problem is Gareth that "Christians" like BF and aT haven't actually read the Whole Bible, they only know the bits they have been "taught"..

Not a good introduction for the religious curious - unless of course BF and aT  are looking to brain-wash other morons, or the what we now call:

"A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling a lesser degree of academic or vocational education"

AKA mentally "challenged"
Farmer Geddon

Re: hi

bigfrankus wrote:
Lucifers Duck wrote:
Have you read the Qur'an  BF?


no - and i never will

i accept God's Holy Word in the Bible

islam denies that Jesus is the Son of God - it denies the divinity of Christ

Jesus Himself said "if u deny me i will deny u before My Father"


Excuse me - Gods Holy Word started with The Jewish Torah, went through a transition with the Gospels and ENDED in the Qur'an..

So you, and your ilk are just playing "Piggy in the Middle"  (where do you think the phrase came from)?

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Atheist chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum