Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Jim

Only in America...I hope.

Gleaned from "Ship of Fools", I found this link....
http://aattp.org/conservative-chr...-her-kids-wont-turn-into-witches/

Oh, dear!
Apart from infringing copyright laws, this is about as pethetic as I think it's possible to get.
This woman needs to realise that faith isn't about destroying something her granny didn't like...or coating a series of imaginative  novels with a Christian veneer.
Powwow

What would you know about her faith Jim? This is about her not wanting her children reading books about witches and their craft. So I hear it's all just fantasy. Maybe, but I don't blame the lady for not taking the chance with her children. Children are not adults Jim, sometimes what is fantasy and what is reality gets mixed up. Even for a lot of adults. Why, if you had children Jim, and you being a Presbyterian minister, would want your young ones filling their heads on a series of books on witches, the occult and their craft is beyond me. Why you as a minister would look down your nose and scorn Christian parents that don't want that for their children is a shame. But that maybe explains the sinking numbers in your CofS.
If you think that there are no Christian parents in the UK that object to the Harry Potter series, you are fooling yourself.

And not only that! Dicky Dawkins himself is attacking Harry Potter these days. Too funny! Only in the UK!
Jim

Re-writing a fiction classic because it doesn't conform with our idea of what fiction should be is an insult to the intelligence.
So we should similarly alter "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"?
"Grimm's Fairy Tales"?
We already dumbed down and Disneyfied Hans Anderson.
What about Eddings? McCaffrey? Adams (both Richard and Douglas), etc.
Fantasy encourages imagination.
Limiting it is the product of a limited intellect.
Shaker

   
Powwow

If somebody wants to write something for children and get rid of all that occult one finds in Harry Potter books, I say good for them. And shame on any so called Christian that encourages children to read books full of the occult. So about Dicky Dawkins latest crusade Jim, the one AGAINST your blessed Harry Potter? Too funny!
Powwow

Oh yes, I must stress for Jim and that atheist, Dawkins is attacking Harry Potter. And a, only in the UK, right back at ya boys!!
trentvoyager

I've never read a Harry Potter book or indeed seen any of the films, but if they get powwow this worked up, maybe I should remedy that lapse on my part.

I had thought they were just a series of fantasy novels about teenagers flying about on broomsticcks playing an imaginary game called quidditch or some such.

Clearly I was wrong, the books have been devised to specifically precipitate the downfall of Western civilisation. Wow - how wrong was I?
Shaker

trentvoyager wrote:
I've never read a Harry Potter book or indeed seen any of the films, but if they get powwow this worked up, maybe I should remedy that lapse on my part.

You read my mind.
Powwow

Oh stop the drama. I could pick up a Harry Potter book and read it, no prob dear trent. I object to snotty liberal Christians that attack a lady for writing a book for her children minus all that occult stuff. I object to snotty liberal Christians attacking and using the only in America angle and then ignoring and remaining silent about the fact that the UK's Dicky Dawkins is, these days, on a crusade against, yup that's right dear trent, HARRY POTTER! Just too too funny!
Powwow

Dicky Dawkins is on a crusade against HARRY POTTER! I love this!
trentvoyager

Quote:
Oh stop the drama


Hmmm...you don't really get sarcasm, do you?
trentvoyager

I wasn't aware of the Dawkins thing about Harry Potter - but when you look back at the reports from 2008 (!) it appears he was questioning the effect that stories like Harry Potter (but not specifically HP) might have on rational thought processes in the young.

So not really the same concerns that the American lady has.

As such your dragging Dawkins into this thread was just a wee bit of a straw man - but no matter, they look lovely when they go up in flames at pagan festivals (and on Internet forums)  





" target="_blank">
Jim

pow wow wrote:
If somebody wants to write something for children and get rid of all that occult one finds in Harry Potter books, I say good for them. And shame on any so called Christian that encourages children to read books full of the occult. So about Dicky Dawkins latest crusade Jim, the one AGAINST your blessed Harry Potter? Too funny!

-
Tell me, pray, what exactly is harmful about the world of Harry Potter?
Or are you in favour of the Levitican injunction?
You know, we used to have an old biddy this side of the pond - Mary Whitehouse by name...shw seemed to share your opinion.
She condemned the Doctor Who of the 1960s and 70's as 'Satanic.'
She even condemned one of the iconic comics of the era - 'the Eagle' as 'seditious antitheism' - even though the chap who created it was an evangelical Christian.
I'm sorry, but force feeding a child only stuff 'approved' by the 'right people' is no way to educate or develop the mind.
Powwow

trent you are a hoot! So first let us say that Harry Potter is not a real person. Good, that's settled. So what you are saying is that an atheists can attack Harry Potter stories because of the influence they might have on children but a Christian woman cannot stand against Harry Potter stories because the influence they might have on her children? You make a lot of sense trent. (smilie)
That godless atheist is worried about the unscientific aspect of these books and their influence on the young. The Christian lady is concerned about these books because of their occult content.
To Jim and dear trent, why is one objection ok and not the other? Or why can't a parent do their job and filter what their child is exposed to. My parents for example, filtered what i was allowed to watch on television when I was a child. Planet of the Apes was a no, no until I was in jr high school.

No dear trent, bringing up the fact that the worlds most famous godless atheist these days, stands against the Harry Potter series is no straw man.
I am offended when people over your way start stupid threads like Jim and floo do, suggesting these things that bother them only happen in America. Or that Christian nut jobs only exist in N America.

A few questions for Jim, as a minister and a believer you do agree that God warns us against all forms of the occult yes? You do agree that the Harry Potter series is full of the occult yes? Why do you believe that the occult cannot influence children? What was the purpose of all the warnings given in scripture Jim? Why does it upset you that a Christian mother wrote an alternative for her children that removes the occult?
cyberman

Jim wrote:

I'm sorry, but force feeding a child only stuff 'approved' by the 'right people' is no way to educate or develop the mind.


That is exactly the nub of the issue, and you are right. I do also agree that Dawkins' humourless diapproval of children's fantasy fiction, including fairy tales, is ridiculous. He is a bit of an arse, though, so what do you expect?
Powwow

Shocking Jim, that knowing scripture as you claim to, you promote children reading books full of the occult.

"And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds.
Many of them also which used curious arts brought forth their books together, and burned them before all men:..."   Acts 19:18, 19
Richie

pow wow wrote:
books on witches, the occult and their craft is beyond me.


You do realise you are talking about the Harry Potter books right?

You do realise you sound like some sort of swivel-eyed loon by going on about the 'occult' and the 'craft' and how children may be influenced by reading HP and running out into the garden and waving a stick about and shouting "expecto patronus" (usually followed by a 'swoosh' sound made by the child in question)

HP is a fantasy novel, it is part of a vast fantasy genre and if you're frightened that children might be 'tempted' away from the fantasy of christianity by the lure of dungeons and dragons then you've got a weird set of priorities in life.
trentvoyager

Quote:
To Jim and dear trent, why is one objection ok and not the other? Or why can't a parent do their job and filter what their child is exposed to. My parents for example, filtered what i was allowed to watch on television when I was a child. Planet of the Apes was a no, no until I was in jr high school.


As far as I can see I never said, or indeed implied that a parent couldn't do that - so yet another straw man burning in the wind.

I repeat go back to the original reports - Dawkins merely raised the issue of fantasy fiction as a possible cause for concern in that it could influence the development of rational thought.

Clearly he was wrong as you have not displayed any rational thought and your parents denied you access to such fiction.

So what do we have, oh yes - Dawkins was wrong and you're irrational.

No surprise to me on either count.
Jim

pow wow wrote:
Shocking Jim, that knowing scripture as you claim to, you promote children reading books full of the occult.
-

No.
I do not 'promote' anything. O don't censor, either.
If a child had a question regarding a book or character when I was a Sunday School teacher or BB Officer, I would state my view, backed with scripture I know the child could deal with.
I certainly would not restrain the child from reading a particular genre unless the book in question was not recommended for a child of that age.
-

Quote:
"And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds.
Many of them also which used curious arts brought forth their books together, and burned them before all men:..."   Acts 19:18, 19
-
.

Diddly squat to do with the fantasy or sci fi genre, though
Powwow

That's very dangerous Jim. You thinking that all children can separate fact from fantasy. Many adults cant's even do that. Jim, the occult is not fantasy, your Bible tells you how dangerous it is. Please don't encourage children to read books full of it and please don't attack Christians that don't want their children exposed to something that your Bible warns against.
Powwow

Dearest trent,
Yes I get it, a godless atheist can warn against exposing the Harry Potter series to children but a Christian can't. Says a lot about you.
Jim

pow wow wrote:
That's very dangerous Jim. You thinking that all children can separate fact from fantasy. Many adults cant's even do that. Jim, the occult is not fantasy, your Bible tells you how dangerous it is. Please don't encourage children to read books full of it and please don't attack Christians that don't want their children exposed to something that your Bible warns against.

-
So, better steer the kids away from
Marvel comics
Fairy stories
Halloween
Nursery rhymes
Hannah-Barbara cartoons
Most Disney films (could be guilty of animistic influence...)
Bewitched...that Samantha was a devil;
Come on...these categories are no more occult than Harry Potter.
You DO know that much of what we call occult was a warped understanding of Christology, don't you?
trentvoyager

pow wow wrote:
Dearest trent,
Yes I get it, a godless atheist can warn against exposing the Harry Potter series to children but a Christian can't. Says a lot about you.


And there you go again attributing things to me that I never said.

Try reading back through the thread before you post anymore fiction.
Shaker

pow wow wrote:
You thinking that all children can separate fact from fantasy. Many adults cant's even do that.

You, for starters.
Richie

pow wow wrote:
That's very dangerous Jim. You thinking that all children can separate fact from fantasy. Many adults cant's even do that.


Hence the number of religious believers out there

Quote:

Jim, the occult is not fantasy, your Bible tells you how dangerous it is. Please don't encourage children to read books full of it


You might want to quote the actual chapters in the HP series which deal in the occult and then explain how these chapters are in some way dangerous

Quote:

and please don't attack Christians that don't want their children exposed to something that your Bible warns against.


Thing it, it appears that quite often they are attacking out of ignorance. Its one thing to say, "I don't want my child to read that" where the adult has a firm grasp of the facts and is able to explain rationally why they feel that the subject matter is inappropriate for their children at that stage, but if they are justifying it as you are, then they clearly have no firm grasp on the subject matter

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum