Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> All faiths and none
AngloMan

People getting far too worked up

I have been posting on another forum for a little while and found such a huge bias against Christians there. Moderators would always listen to the complaints of atheists above Christians and you should have seen the abuse I got when I asked a genuine question about Richard Dawkins.

Why do people get so worked up that they cannot see a simple question when it is asked?

I try and be moderate and apologise when I fail but for some people that is not enough
Leonard James

I'm sure what you say is true, Anglo, and it is unfortunate.  

However, not all atheists respond in that way, just as not all Christians consider atheists lacking in any spiritual/moral values ... an approach often taken by Christians.

We just have to soldier on and try to see both points of view.
Grantus Maximus

Re: People getting far too worked up

AngloMan wrote:
I have been posting on another forum for a little while and found such a huge bias against Christians there. Moderators would always listen to the complaints of atheists above Christians and you should have seen the abuse I got when I asked a genuine question about Richard Dawkins.

Why do people get so worked up that they cannot see a simple question when it is asked?

I try and be moderate and apologise when I fail but for some people that is not enough


Perhaps if you stopped posting the same old judgemental tosh under different usernames you might get a better response.  
Jim

Re: People getting far too worked up

AngloMan
I don't post here much as the format of this forum is hard for my screenreader to navigate.
I hesitate to get into the Dawkins debate - at his own discipline, he is brilliant and very easy to understand.
Pity he doesn't stick to that....
When it comes to theology, he's hopeless. Most of his arguments are pitched solely against Christianity; it might have made him more credible if he had confined them to theism in general, though, even there, his wife, LaLa Ward's character in Doctor Who (Romana) is more credible than he is.
"the God Delusion" was the hook to hang his publicity machine from, though McGrath and Robertson demolished it. Most of his subsequent work has been a re-hash of the arguments which were already dealt with.
gone

Re: People getting far too worked up

AngloMan wrote:
I have been posting on another forum for a little while and found such a huge bias against Christians there. Moderators would always listen to the complaints of atheists above Christians and you should have seen the abuse I got when I asked a genuine question about Richard Dawkins.

Why do people get so worked up that they cannot see a simple question when it is asked?

I try and be moderate and apologise when I fail but for some people that is not enough


Remembering some of your posts I am not surprised you got the bum's rush, they were hardly pleasant to put it mildly!
Shaker

Re: People getting far too worked up

AngloMan wrote:
I have been posting on another forum for a little while and found such a huge bias against Christians there. Moderators would always listen to the complaints of atheists above Christians and you should have seen the abuse I got when I asked a genuine question about Richard Dawkins.

What was the "genuine question"? Perhaps the moderators didn't agree with you that it was genuine. They're entitled to do that, you know.
AngloMan

Re: People getting far too worked up

Shaker wrote:
AngloMan wrote:
I have been posting on another forum for a little while and found such a huge bias against Christians there. Moderators would always listen to the complaints of atheists above Christians and you should have seen the abuse I got when I asked a genuine question about Richard Dawkins.

What was the "genuine question"? Perhaps the moderators didn't agree with you that it was genuine. They're entitled to do that, you know.


I used a clip from youtube whcih showed Dawkins struggling with a question. I was accused of trolling because everybody knew it was a made up clip. Now I did not. I was not given any hearing at all, I was accused and as far as the moderators were concerned suspicion was the same as guilt. It was ever thus on that forum
Grantus Maximus

Re: People getting far too worked up

[quote="AngloMan:59747"]
Shaker wrote:


I used a clip from youtube whcih showed Dawkins struggling with a question. I was accused of trolling because everybody knew it was a made up clip. Now I did not. I was not given any hearing at all, I was accused and as far as the moderators were concerned suspicion was the same as guilt. It was ever thus on that forum


Hi Angloman

You say 'Now I did not' - but you don't say what you didn't do and I'm not sure what you're referring to. Can you clarify please?

Cheers - GM
Leonard James

I think he means he didn't know that the clip was pseudo.
Grantus Maximus

Leonard James wrote:
I think he means he didn't know that the clip was pseudo.


Ah right. That makes sense. Cheers Len.

For what it's worth, I've no problem accepting that Angloman thought the clip was genuine - i.e. undoctored to try and show RD in a particularly negative light.

Please be aware though - this sort of doctoring goes on, so it's definitely worth doing a bit of digging around before referring to clips of that sort to make a claim or a point.

Cheers - GM
Leonard James

Yes, indeed! The clip was made up by "CreationOnTheWeb.org", which should make anybody wary of its veracity ... except, of course, those that are not interested in veracity.
AngloMan

Leonard James wrote:
Yes, indeed! The clip was made up by "CreationOnTheWeb.org", which should make anybody wary of its veracity ... except, of course, those that are not interested in veracity.



Tell me why it should make anyone aware? You assume that everyone lies? Sad way to think
Grantus Maximus

AngloMan wrote:
Leonard James wrote:
Yes, indeed! The clip was made up by "CreationOnTheWeb.org", which should make anybody wary of its veracity ... except, of course, those that are not interested in veracity.



Tell me why it should make anyone aware? You assume that everyone lies? Sad way to think


Sorry Angloman, but if one's experience of any organisations involved with promoting creationist takes on science is that they mangle that science to make it say something it doesn't, then you get to the point where you automatically dismiss them as unreliable.

Cheers - GM
gone

Grantus Maximus wrote:
AngloMan wrote:
Leonard James wrote:
Yes, indeed! The clip was made up by "CreationOnTheWeb.org", which should make anybody wary of its veracity ... except, of course, those that are not interested in veracity.



Tell me why it should make anyone aware? You assume that everyone lies? Sad way to think


Sorry Angloman, but if one's experience of any organisations involved with promoting creationist takes on science is that they mangle that science to make it say something it doesn't, then you get to the point where you automatically dismiss them as unreliable.

Cheers - GM


I agree.
Leonard James

AngloMan wrote:
Leonard James wrote:
Yes, indeed! The clip was made up by "CreationOnTheWeb.org", which should make anybody wary of its veracity ... except, of course, those that are not interested in veracity.



Tell me why it should make anyone aware?

Because they post lies about scientific facts and specifically about evolution.
Quote:
You assume that everyone lies?

No, of course I don't assume that everybody lies, and only an idiot would suggest such a thing.
Quote:
Sad way to think

It is for anybody who thinks that way, but I'm not one of them.

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> All faiths and none
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum