Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Honey 56

They do not glorify Him as God

Romans 1.

18 What is revealed is God’s anger from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people who in their wickedness keep suppressing the truth; 19 because what is known about God is plain to them, since God has made it plain to them. 20 For ever since the creation of the universe his invisible qualities — both his eternal power and his divine nature — have been clearly seen, because they can be understood from what he has made. Therefore, they have no excuse; 21 because, although they know who God is, they do not glorify him as God or thank him. On the contrary, they have become futile in their thinking; and their undiscerning hearts have become darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they have become fools!

I have seen this scripture with new eyes lately, and an even clearer understanding, this is from the Complete Jewish Bible.........

It is obvious from this scripture that our Creator, who is the Word, Yeshua our Messiah, is indeed God, this scripture could not be clearer! and the warning against those who suppress this truth and do not give Him the glory that He so richly deserves, is clear to see.

They claim to be wise, to have the truth and yet the very truth that is shouting at them from the pages of Gods word is denied and they have indeed become foolish.

Honey  
gone

It is much more obvious to me that the deity portrayed in the Bible is purely a human creation, and a very unpleasant one at that!
The Boyg

Willow wrote:
It is much more obvious to me that the deity portrayed in the Bible is purely a human creation, and a very unpleasant one at that!


Change the record Floo, we've heard that one a thousand times already.  
gone

The Boyg wrote:
Willow wrote:
It is much more obvious to me that the deity portrayed in the Bible is purely a human creation, and a very unpleasant one at that!


Change the record Floo, we've heard that one a thousand times already.  


Tough you will hear it a thousand times more too, no doubt like we have to hear your opinions!
Ketty

Re: They do not glorify Him as God

Aye, as I told our friend Ralphie, it is obvious from Scripture that Christ Jesus is indeed God.  Scripture could not be clearer!  

Honey 56 wrote:
Romans 1.

18 What is revealed is God’s anger from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people who in their wickedness keep suppressing the truth; 19 because what is known about God is plain to them, since God has made it plain to them. 20 For ever since the creation of the universe his invisible qualities — both his eternal power and his divine nature — have been clearly seen, because they can be understood from what he has made. Therefore, they have no excuse; 21 because, although they know who God is, they do not glorify him as God or thank him. On the contrary, they have become futile in their thinking; and their undiscerning hearts have become darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they have become fools!

I have seen this scripture with new eyes lately, and an even clearer understanding, this is from the Complete Jewish Bible.........

It is obvious from this scripture that our Creator, who is the Word, Yeshua our Messiah, is indeed God, this scripture could not be clearer! and the warning against those who suppress this truth and do not give Him the glory that He so richly deserves, is clear to see.

They claim to be wise, to have the truth and yet the very truth that is shouting at them from the pages of Gods word is denied and they have indeed become foolish.


So what does that say about those who promote and market the religion of men like Joseph Smith, or Brigham Young, or Charles Russell?  
Shaker

The Boyg wrote:
Change the record Floo, we've heard that one a thousand times already.  

Posted with nary a trace of irony.
Honey 56

Re: They do not glorify Him as God

Ketty wrote:
Aye, as I told our friend Ralphie, it is obvious from Scripture that Christ Jesus is indeed God.  Scripture could not be clearer!  

Honey 56 wrote:
Romans 1.

18 What is revealed is God’s anger from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people who in their wickedness keep suppressing the truth; 19 because what is known about God is plain to them, since God has made it plain to them. 20 For ever since the creation of the universe his invisible qualities — both his eternal power and his divine nature — have been clearly seen, because they can be understood from what he has made. Therefore, they have no excuse; 21 because, although they know who God is, they do not glorify him as God or thank him. On the contrary, they have become futile in their thinking; and their undiscerning hearts have become darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they have become fools!

I have seen this scripture with new eyes lately, and an even clearer understanding, this is from the Complete Jewish Bible.........

It is obvious from this scripture that our Creator, who is the Word, Yeshua our Messiah, is indeed God, this scripture could not be clearer! and the warning against those who suppress this truth and do not give Him the glory that He so richly deserves, is clear to see.

They claim to be wise, to have the truth and yet the very truth that is shouting at them from the pages of Gods word is denied and they have indeed become foolish.


So what does that say about those who promote and market the religion of men like Joseph Smith, or Brigham Young, or Charles Russell?  


It says to me that we should love them and our hearts should be breaking for them, until they come to know and love the only way to salvation, our Lord and saviour Christ jesus.

honey
Jim

The problem, though, Honey, is that Smith, Russell and Youns

The problem, though, Honey, is that Smith , Young and Russell left the path illuminated by the Gospel message. Sadly, the leaders of the scts they founded continue down a path that is not only non-scriptural, but antithetical to scripture. These people are deluding people for whom Christ died, people for whom, because they are persuaded of these false doctrines, are now following ways which are in conflict with the Gospel message.
Honey 56

Yes Jim,
They are on the wrong path, lost, just as we were before God's grace persuaded us to change direction. But Jesus came to seek and save the lost, ones such as these and  nothing is impossible for Him.

Honey  
The Boyg

Shaker wrote:
The Boyg wrote:
Change the record Floo, we've heard that one a thousand times already.  

Posted with nary a trace of irony.


Yes.
The Boyg

Willow wrote:
The Boyg wrote:
Willow wrote:
It is much more obvious to me that the deity portrayed in the Bible is purely a human creation, and a very unpleasant one at that!


Change the record Floo, we've heard that one a thousand times already.  


Tough you will hear it a thousand times more too.


No doubt, since you never appear to have anything original to say.
Ketty

Re: They do not glorify Him as God

Honey 56 wrote:

It says to me that we should love them and our hearts should be breaking for them, until they come to know and love the only way to salvation, our Lord and saviour Christ jesus.


For the Christian believer that goes without saying Honey. But your quote prompted the rhetorical question, what does the Scripture say about people like our our friends Ralphie and JamesJah?


Jim wrote:
The problem, though, Honey, is that Smith , Young and Russell left the path illuminated by the Gospel message. Sadly, the leaders of the scts they founded continue down a path that is not only non-scriptural, but antithetical to scripture. These people are deluding people for whom Christ died, people for whom, because they are persuaded of these false doctrines, are now following ways which are in conflict with the Gospel message.


  So true Jim.  False teachers and preachers breed false teachers and preachers, hence the continued heresies on pages like these from people like our aforementioned friends.

And yet:

Honey 56 wrote:

They claim to be wise, to have the truth and yet the very truth that is shouting at them from the pages of Gods word is denied and they have indeed become foolish.




Honey 56

Dear Ketty,

My post was not directed at anyone on this forum specifically, it was a general comment about those people who think they are wise but scriptually are many miles away from the truth.

I do not judge anyone, that is best left to our Father in heaven, who wants all men to come to an knowlege of Him and to be saved.

Honey
Farmer Geddon

Re: They do not glorify Him as God

Honey 56 wrote:
Romans 1.

18 What is revealed is God’s anger from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people who in their wickedness keep suppressing the truth; 19 because what is known about God is plain to them, since God has made it plain to them. 20 For ever since the creation of the universe his invisible qualities — both his eternal power and his divine nature — have been clearly seen, because they can be understood from what he has made. Therefore, they have no excuse; 21 because, although they know who God is, they do not glorify him as God or thank him. On the contrary, they have become futile in their thinking; and their undiscerning hearts have become darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they have become fools!

I have seen this scripture with new eyes lately, and an even clearer understanding, this is from the Complete Jewish Bible.........

It is obvious from this scripture that our Creator, who is the Word, Yeshua our Messiah, is indeed God, this scripture could not be clearer! and the warning against those who suppress this truth and do not give Him the glory that He so richly deserves, is clear to see.

They claim to be wise, to have the truth and yet the very truth that is shouting at them from the pages of Gods word is denied and they have indeed become foolish.

Honey  


Emmm - I think if you actually read the passage you will find that it is obvious that the author was having a pop at the Jews.

Calling them various versions of "fool/unintelligent" several times throughout the passage....
Ketty

Honey 56 wrote:


. . . that is best left to our Father in heaven, who wants all men to come to an knowlege of Him and to be saved.


For the Christian believer that goes without saying.  
Honey 56

Re: They do not glorify Him as God

Farmer Geddon wrote:
Honey 56 wrote:
Romans 1.

18 What is revealed is God’s anger from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people who in their wickedness keep suppressing the truth; 19 because what is known about God is plain to them, since God has made it plain to them. 20 For ever since the creation of the universe his invisible qualities — both his eternal power and his divine nature — have been clearly seen, because they can be understood from what he has made. Therefore, they have no excuse; 21 because, although they know who God is, they do not glorify him as God or thank him. On the contrary, they have become futile in their thinking; and their undiscerning hearts have become darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they have become fools!

I have seen this scripture with new eyes lately, and an even clearer understanding, this is from the Complete Jewish Bible.........

It is obvious from this scripture that our Creator, who is the Word, Yeshua our Messiah, is indeed God, this scripture could not be clearer! and the warning against those who suppress this truth and do not give Him the glory that He so richly deserves, is clear to see.

They claim to be wise, to have the truth and yet the very truth that is shouting at them from the pages of Gods word is denied and they have indeed become foolish.

Honey  


Emmm - I think if you actually read the passage you will find that it is obvious that the author was having a pop at the Jews.

Calling them various versions of "fool/unintelligent" several times through the passage....


Dear Farmer,

The author was a Jew himself.

But I do take your point.
However, scripture is not just for the people of the time it was written, it is appropriate for teaching etc throughout history, it is Gods word to His people wherever they are .

Honey
Farmer Geddon

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here HM.. "However, scripture is not just for the people of the time it was written".

Of course it was, which is why they are full of references that make no sense today..

Also I have always been in the camp that believes Paul wasn't really a Jew.

I doubt you have heard of it, let alone read it, but Hyam Maccoby kinda sums it up best for me:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1528179.The_Mythmaker

For a summary of the book can I suggest this website:

The Problem of Paul.
(Excerpt from: The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity
by Hyam Maccoby)


Give it a go...
gone

I am of the opinion that the authors of the documents that went to make up the Bible, wrote them for the people of their own specific generation not for people of the future.
Ketty

Willow wrote:
I am of the opinion that the authors of the documents that went to make up the Bible, wrote them for the people of their own specific generation not for people of the future.


I think in sense that's correct Willow.  The writers could only draw upon their own experience of culture.  

However, I do believe that all Scripture was written through inspiration by God and therefore the writers would perhaps not be aware that the writings would be equally as pertinent for all people for all time - as God intended.
Farmer Geddon

ALL "Scripture" Ketty?

Even the ones that got rejected on theological grounds?
Jim

Agreed, Ketty;
In the same way, the diverse range of authors who wrote the Jewish Scriptures which now form our Old Testament probably did not envisage their longevity.
The Spirit of God sees things differently, though.

Even other, later writers, C.S Lewis - or John Bunyan - could never have envisaged the effect they would have had in bringing to faith, and strengthening the faith, of many, many people who lived decades or centuries after their works were written.
That's the thing about our God: Creator of time and space, he is beyond, yet within time and space in ways which whole libraries of theological gobbledegook try to put into words.
When we become aware of God in our lives, though, we can skip the boring bits and get down to living the new Life it all adds up to!
Lexilogio

I read a really good line on Twitter this morning, which reminded me of this thread:

If a man is proud - let him be proud of God.
bnabernard

Well Jim, some of us have a problem with a God who exists as a triune yet creates time?

bernard (hug)
Jim

Some of us, Bernie....
But not all of us!
gone

Lexilogio wrote:
I read a really good line on Twitter this morning, which reminded me of this thread:

If a man is proud - let him be proud of God.


What on earth is there to be proud about where the Biblical portrayal of the deity is concerned?
Jim

Much, Willow,much!
bnabernard

Jim wrote:
Some of us, Bernie....
But not all of us!


Sadly I agree and sigh alas, and some of us consider did God create light or create dark.

bernard (hug)
gone

Jim wrote:
Much, Willow,much!


What for instance? It is red in tooth and claw! I would feel ashamed if I worshipped such an epitomy of evil.
Jim

So would I - but I don't.
I serve someone I have known for three decades, who has guided, led, strengthened and used me in ways I could never have dreamt of before I surrendered to him.
A favourite singer of mine, now an author, Sheila Walsh ,once sang a song called "Eyes of a different kind", referring to the new way of seeing things when you find freedom to live in Him.
Honey 56

Farmer Geddon wrote:
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here HM.. "However, scripture is not just for the people of the time it was written".

Of course it was, which is why they are full of references that make no sense today..

Also I have always been in the camp that believes Paul wasn't really a Jew.

I doubt you have heard of it, let alone read it, but Hyam Maccoby kinda sums it up best for me:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1528179.The_Mythmaker

For a summary of the book can I suggest this website:

The Problem of Paul.
(Excerpt from: The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity
by Hyam Maccoby)


Give it a go...


Hi Farmer,

Scripture is indeed full of references that people today do not necessarily understand, but it is also full of wisdom, truth and life lessons that are as true for the believer today as they always were.

Thank you for the link, I will give it a go, some homework for me this evening I think.  


Honey
The Boyg

Willow wrote:
I am of the opinion that the authors of the documents that went to make up the Bible, wrote them for the people of their own specific generation not for people of the future.


What leads you to hold that opinion Floo?

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum