Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Tips and hints
Lexilogio

Useful things

Okay - by request.....


To hyperlink a word:

Open square bracket [
url= then the web address
Close square bracket ]

then type the word you want, followed by
[/url]
Lexilogio

Want to scroll text?
Dave B

Well done Lexi.

Ketty



Now, can you give me an idiot's guide to the 'count' function in Excel, please?

Lexilogio

Ketty wrote:


Now, can you give me an idiot's guide to the 'count' function in Excel, please?



Which count function do you want?

A straight count?

=SUM(cell:cell)

or count text?

=COUNTIF(cell:cell,"insert text")
Dave B

Lexilogio wrote:
Ketty wrote:


Now, can you give me an idiot's guide to the 'count' function in Excel, please?



Which count function do you want?

A straight count?

=SUM(cell:cell)

or count text?

=COUNTIF(cell:cell,"insert text")

Does the "COUNTIF" function count the number of cells that contain either a specific text or value?

I seem to remember one for counting cells that contain a specified number. Unfortunately my old Excell won't load into Windows 7 so I can't check that one. But I have the memory of using it when scanning plots with thousands of logged values and needing to know how many hit the max.

I will have to see if there is anything like it in Open Office.
Dave B

Yup, that must have been the one, and it works in Open Office as well. Not that I will be canning mega dumps of logged data whilst I am retired . . .
Lexilogio

Yes - COUNTIF will count all cells in a specific range with certain text. It will not, though, pick text from a phrase. So searching for a single letter won't pick all those with that letter in a word, but only those cells which only contain that letter.
Ketty

COUNTIF, that's the one!







Another - I've got a spreadsheet containing several sheets.  The value from the formula in a cell in, say Sheet A, I need to copy to Sheet B - that's fine I can do that BUT the value of the cell in sheet A is a negative and when it appears in Sheet B I need it to turn to a positive - how do I get it to turn from a negative from Sheet A to a positive in Sheet B?
Lexilogio

Ketty wrote:
COUNTIF, that's the one!







Another - I've got a spreadsheet containing several sheets.  The value from the formula in a cell in, say Sheet A, I need to copy to Sheet B - that's fine I can do that BUT the value of the cell in sheet A is a negative and when it appears in Sheet B I need it to turn to a positive - how do I get it to turn from a negative from Sheet A to a positive in Sheet B?


You need to format the cell - either by right clicking, or by going to Format at the top - then select cell.
You want the first tab - Number, then in the dialogue box go down to number. That gives you the option to turn the number in the cell to always positive (or vice versa).


I like Exel  
Dave B

Lexilogio wrote:
I like Exel  


That sounds rather sad (but I know what you mean).

[edit: Very satisfying when you work out things like your own little "perpetual calender" macro in Excel to tell you, exactly, how many hours an experiment has been running if you enter the start and finish time/dates - and then hide it behind a "GO" button for others to use. I tried to start an intranet page to publish such things, but without much success in that company.]
Ketty

Lexilogio wrote:


You need to format the cell - either by right clicking, or by going to Format at the top - then select cell.
You want the first tab - Number, then in the dialogue box go down to number. That gives you the option to turn the number in the cell to always positive (or vice versa).


I like Exel  


You're a little star!!  Thank you.  As soon as I read your destructions, I realised I already knew the answer.

I like Excel too.  

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Tips and hints
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum