Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Rose

What personality traits?

What personality traits would you look for in a Christian?

Are there any that you admire? That would make you think " that person really is a Christian?"

( this has nothing to do with theology or who believes what, but for the sake of argument assume they believe the same as you!)

Julie
cyberman

Re: What personality traits?

Rose wrote:
What personality traits would you look for in a Christian?

Are there any that you admire? That would make you think " that person really is a Christian?"

( this has nothing to do with theology or who believes what, but for the sake of argument assume they believe the same as you!)

Julie


I don't know, but there's a chap on R&E who swears blind that I am not a real Christian, because I swear quite a lot.
JMC

I would not look for, or demand, any particular personality traits in others. If I could slightly alter the question as to what personality traits I would like to see in myself, as markers of progress in the Christian life, then hopefully it will still answer your question:

We can start with the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

Underpinning all of these (some more obvious than others) is humility: putting yourself beneath all others, as Jesus did. Humility has the added benefit of being the only sure-fire way of combating pride, which is an obstacle to all of the above characteristics. It is not included with the "fruits" of the Spirit because humility is less outward (i.e. a fruit) and tricky to discern: once you think you are humble, it usually means your not!
Ketty

JMC wrote:
I would not look for, or demand, any particular personality traits in others.


Agreed.  

He made us uniquely ourselves for a reason.
Ketty

Re: What personality traits?

Rose wrote:
What personality traits would you look for in a Christian?


What personality traits would you look for in an atheist, or a pagan, or a pseudo-Christian, or a Muslim, or a Jew, or an LDS, or a JW, or a Sikh, or a Buddist . . . ?

No doubt you will be telling us yet again what personality traits you think Christians should have according to your experience of washing up a few 'communion' dishes and attending a multi-faith centre?      

Only the Lord - that's the real one: the Triune Godhead: God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit can see the heart.  

Rose wrote:
Are there any that you admire? That would make you think " that person really is a Christian?"


All my brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus.  There's not many things to beat a Holy huddle.

Rose wrote:
( this has nothing to do with theology or who believes what, but for the sake of argument assume they believe the same as you!)


I'm sure you've heard the old saying about 'assume'?  It makes an ASS out of U, etc.  Always safest never to assume anything because the prettiest of packages can hold a hidden drop of poison - just like 'personalities', I guess.
Rose

Re: What personality traits?

Ketty wrote:
Rose wrote:
What personality traits would you look for in a Christian?


What personality traits would you look for in an atheist, or a pagan, or a pseudo-Christian, or a Muslim, or a Jew, or an LDS, or a JW, or a Sikh, or a Buddist . . . ?

No doubt you will be telling us yet again what personality traits you think Christians should have according to your experience of washing up a few 'communion' dishes and attending a multi-faith centre? † †

Only the Lord - that's the real one: the Triune Godhead: God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit can see the heart. †

Rose wrote:
Are there any that you admire? That would make you think " that person really is a Christian?"


All my brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus. †There's not many things to beat a Holy huddle.

Rose wrote:
( this has nothing to do with theology or who believes what, but for the sake of argument assume they believe the same as you!)


I'm sure you've heard the old saying about 'assume'? †It makes an ASS out of U, etc. †Always safest never to assume anything because the prettiest of packages can hold a hidden drop of poison - just like 'personalities', I guess.


I put that in to stop you from derailing the thread by being obsessed by what someone else believes,that differs from you. It obviously hasn't worked!

Too full of your own glory, you are, †to even attempt to think about the question!

Perhaps if you were less self centred ........ You would be able to.

Julie
Leonard James

Ketty wrote:


He made us uniquely ourselves for a reason.


Nobody made us, Ket, we evolved, and the reason we are all different is that we all have a different set of genes and grow up in different environments.

Identical twins have the same genes, of course, but they are different because of growing up in different environmental conditions.
Rose

JMC wrote:
I would not look for, or demand, any particular personality traits in others. If I could slightly alter the question as to what personality traits I would like to see in myself, as markers of progress in the Christian life, then hopefully it will still answer your question:

We can start with the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

Underpinning all of these (some more obvious than others) is humility: putting yourself beneath all others, as Jesus did. Humility has the added benefit of being the only sure-fire way of combating pride, which is an obstacle to all of the above characteristics. It is not included with the "fruits" of the Spirit because humility is less outward (i.e. a fruit) and tricky to discern: once you think you are humble, it usually means your not!


Hi JMC,

I like your answer best of all because I think it answers the OP.

It isn't self centred at all, and you have obviously thought through what it means to you as a Christian.

Your reply is non judgmental!

I think Ketty could learn a lot from your reply, if she didn't skim past the rest of it after reading  your first sentence.





Julie
Rose

Ketty wrote:
JMC wrote:
I would not look for, or demand, any particular personality traits in others.


Agreed. †

He made us uniquely ourselves for a reason.


Hitler could have said the same thing!


Julie
Shaker

Rose wrote:
Ketty wrote:
JMC wrote:
I would not look for, or demand, any particular personality traits in others.


Agreed. †

He made us uniquely ourselves for a reason.


Hitler could have said the same thing!

I'm pretty sure that he in fact did.
Ketty

Rose wrote:
Hitler could have said the same thing!


Your point?
Ketty

Leonard James wrote:

Nobody made us, Ket, we evolved, and the reason we are all different is that we all have a different set of genes and grow up in different environments.

Identical twins have the same genes, of course, but they are different because of growing up in different environmental conditions.


Ah but Lennie, you're not doing as you're told!  Wotchit, or you'll bring on one of the stampy-footed ever-so-slightly-hysterical hissy fits.  

Rose wrote:
( this has nothing to do with theology or who believes what, but for the sake of argument assume they believe the same as you!)


Leonard James

Ketty wrote:


Ah but Lennie, you're not doing as you're told!


I must have missed something, Ket! What was I told?

Quote:
†Wotchit, or you'll bring on one of the stampy-footed ever-so-slightly-hysterical hissy fits. †


Oh no! Not that! Anything but that!

Ketty

Leonard James wrote:

I must have missed something, Ket! What was I told?


"Rose" instructed all readers (and potential participants) at the very start: "this has nothing to do with theology or who believes what, but for the sake of argument assume they believe the same as you!"



Leonard James wrote:

Oh no! Not that! Anything but that!


 
Rose

Leonard James wrote:
Ketty wrote:


Ah but Lennie, you're not doing as you're told!


I must have missed something, Ket! What was I told?

Quote:
†Wotchit, or you'll bring on one of the stampy-footed ever-so-slightly-hysterical hissy fits. †


Oh no! Not that! Anything but that!



Hiya Leonard

I wrote the thread for Christians originally, but no reason you can't join in, if you want to!

As Ketty points out I did put, " for the sake of argument, assume they believe the same as you." †Mainly because I didn't want the Christians ( one in particular) in the thread to go in the direction of arguing about different beliefs.

I know you are an Athiest and your posts always strike me as being very humanitarian, so I will try and frame the question with that in mind!

Are there any humanitarian passages which you can relate to ?or sayings by Jesus in the bible which you as an Athiest can appreciate and respect?

What personality traits would you pull from the bible, that you think, when you see them in others, makes you think, that person is a good example of those passages as a Christian or a humanitarian?







Julie
LeClerc

Re: What personality traits?

Hi Julie

Rose wrote:
What personality traits would you look for in a Christian?

Are there any that you admire? That would make you think " that person really is a Christian?"

( this has nothing to do with theology or who believes what, but for the sake of argument assume they believe the same as you!)

Julie


From the song by Michael Jackson

I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways

Turning to the Messianic Writings.

2 Corinthians 13
5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are living the life of trust. Test yourselves. Donít you realize that Yeshua the Messiah is in you? ó unless you fail to pass the test.

James 1
22 Donít deceive yourselves by only hearing what the Word says, but do it! 23 For whoever hears the Word but doesnít do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror, 24 who looks at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.

We can't change our ways but the Messiah Y'shua can change us and that begins with us dying to self and living to Messiah.

Galatians 5
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 humility, self control. Nothing in the Torah stands against such things.
24 Moreover, those who belong to the Messiah Yeshua have put their old nature to death on the stake, along with its passions and desires. 25 Since it is through the Spirit that we have Life, let it also be through the Spirit that we order our lives day by day.


Regards

LeClerc
Rose

Re: What personality traits?

LeClerc wrote:
Hi Julie

Rose wrote:
What personality traits would you look for in a Christian?

Are there any that you admire? That would make you think " that person really is a Christian?"

( this has nothing to do with theology or who believes what, but for the sake of argument assume they believe the same as you!)

Julie


From the song by Michael Jackson

I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways

Turning to the Messianic Writings.

2 Corinthians 13
5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are living the life of trust. Test yourselves. Donít you realize that Yeshua the Messiah is in you? ó unless you fail to pass the test.

James 1
22 Donít deceive yourselves by only hearing what the Word says, but do it! 23 For whoever hears the Word but doesnít do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror, 24 who looks at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.

We can't change our ways but the Messiah Y'shua can change us and that begins with us dying to self and living to Messiah.

Galatians 5
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 humility, self control. Nothing in the Torah stands against such things.
24 Moreover, those who belong to the Messiah Yeshua have put their old nature to death on the stake, along with its passions and desires. 25 Since it is through the Spirit that we have Life, let it also be through the Spirit that we order our lives day by day.


Regards

LeClerc



Hi LeClerc,

Thanks for that.

I like your post too lots of self reflection in there!



Julie

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum