Archive for nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 



       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
JamesJah

Who invented Christmass?

Who invented Christmass?

Should Christians be involved with something that has nothing to do with being a Christian?
Jim

Re: Who invented Christmass?

Why not go into the murky depths of the Watchtower?
Your group used to sanction Christmas, after all.
JamesJah

They also used to use the KJV bible but we only do it now to help some one entrenched in church tradition.

I bet you do not still ware nappies Jim, then again who knows?
bnabernard

Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
Jim

You are the one who posed the question, James.
I'm simply refering you to your own group's doctrine before the light went out.
JamesJah

Now you are putting on the pressure Bernie you mate LerClerc will hit you with some Greek if you are not careful.

The early Christians had the same problem with the silver smiths who made the god Artemis they were more worried about the money they could lose rather than the worship of that god.

I see Jim thinks that two wrongs make a rght?
Jim

I suppose the WTBTS, in a prophetic stupor, has thoughtfully renamed the months and days in the calendar to eradicate any pagan tendancies?
No.
Though not.
JamesJah

Jim wrote:
You are the one who posed the question, James.
I'm simply refering you to your own group's doctrine before the light went out.


Not my group Jim they were hard working students of scripture in those days I am just a beneficiary, of their hard work.

Where as you are what exactly?
Jim

A child of God.
bnabernard

Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

......
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
JamesJah

Jim wrote:
I suppose the WTBTS, in a prophetic stupor, has thoughtfully renamed the months and days in the calendar to eradicate any pagan tendancies?
No.
Though not.



Interesting thought though something to consider after the great day when we can change the names, to do it in the new order that is to come soon.

I think that most JWs are waiting till when the new scrolls that are to be opened and we can see what they will have to say on the matter.


One thing is for certain a greater effort will be made to do what is pleasing the New rulers of the Heavens, as we bring our lives in harmony with what Jehovah requires of humans rather than what the present ruler has.
JamesJah

Jim wrote:
A child of God.


Is that one that stamps their feet and sulks if they can not do as they pleas?
Honey 56

Jim wrote:
A child of God.


Hi Jim,
Two new OP's from James, subjects that have already been done to death with the J.W's, anyone would think that he is trying to avoid answering the difficult questions on the other threads.
I know they are not difficult for us Jim, but for a student of the WTBTS, when they see scripture going against everything they have been lead to believe, well it just doesn't compute (think lost in space   )

Honey
Honey 56

Dear Jim,

Just for you...

http://youtu.be/RG0ochx16Dg

Honey
Ketty

When did the JWs stop celebrating birthdays and having a bit of fun?
Jim

Nope, James.
A child of God.
Someone who recognises my faults, my failings and imperfections and sees, in the LORD Jesus, the answer to all of them, if I trust Him.
And, James, I do.

"But to all the people who recieved Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave them the right to be caklled God's childrenn... (John 1: 12 and ff )
Jim

Thanks, Honey.
One of my favourites!
There's a character, there, Zachary Smith, who always thinks and schemes, thinking he alone is right and has the knowledge to prove it...and inevitably gets it wrong, landing himself, and the rest of the crew, in hot water.


er........
Does that remind you of a certain organisation?


JamesJah

Did that include the bit with every eye will see him?


If you scroll down far enough you will come to the coming in the clouds section. Ok?

http://artworldofjames42.blogspot.co.uk/
Jim

Your art's lost on me, I'm afraid.
However, as for Christmas;
While I don't participate in the commercialised trans-Atlantic drivel that surrounds December 25, I do indeed choose to celebrate on that day that God was Incarnate in Christ for me.
Why shouldn't I?
It's as good a day as any, isn't it?
And, yes, I know it was shoved on top of several pagan midwinter festivals in an attempt to Christianise them, which only partly succeeded.
That's no reason NOT to commemorate the Incarnation.
Nor is it any reason to forget the Incarnation for the other 364 or365 days in a year.
Nor do I.
The Boyg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#Feast_established

Quote:
The earliest known reference to the date of the nativity as December 25 is found in the Chronography of 354, an illuminated manuscript compiled in Rome. In the East, early Christians celebrated the birth of Christ as part of Epiphany (January 6), although this festival emphasized celebration of the baptism of Jesus.

Christmas was promoted in the Christian East as part of the revival of Catholicism following the death of the pro-Arian Emperor Valens at the Battle of Adrianople in 378. The feast was introduced to Constantinople in 379, and to Antioch in about 380. The feast disappeared after Gregory of Nazianzus resigned as bishop in 381, although it was reintroduced by John Chrysostom in about 400.
JamesJah

Jim wrote:
Your art's lost on me, I'm afraid.
However, as for Christmas;
While I don't participate in the commercialised trans-Atlantic drivel that surrounds December 25, I do indeed choose to celebrate on that day that God was Incarnate in Christ for me.
Why shouldn't I?
It's as good a day as any, isn't it?
And, yes, I know it was shoved on top of several pagan midwinter festivals in an attempt to Christianise them, which only partly succeeded.
That's no reason NOT to commemorate the Incarnation.
Nor is it any reason to forget the Incarnation for the other 364 or365 days in a year.
Nor do I.


Yes Jim why not no one will notice with all the pagans celebrating the winter solstice, who is going to notice what you do?

Can you say you are in harmony with this scripture?
Is it important to please ourselves or should we consider what pleases Jehovah?

Romans 14:5-8
One [man] judges one day as above another; another [man] judges one day as all others; let each [man] be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day observes it to Jehovah. Also, he who eats, eats to Jehovah, for he gives thanks to God; and he who does not eat does not eat to Jehovah, and yet gives thanks to God. None of us, in fact, lives with regard to himself only, and no one dies with regard to himself only; for both if we live, we live to Jehovah,
Jim

Yes.
I'm glad to say that, for one vanishingly small point, I am in full agreement with ol' Russell.
He didn't need new light, neon light l.e,d. light or even scripture-lite there.
Honey 56

In answer to James' OP.

I would say that it was the Shepherds, then the Sages, who invented Christmas, they sought out the Christ took Him gifts and WORSHIPPED Him.

NB. The sages did NOT come from satan as the WTBTS teaches their followers. They did not report back to Herod, because they were warned in a dream not to.

Honey

       nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum