nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index nglreturns.myfreeforum.org
Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Muslim/Islamic weddings
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Other religions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.






Posted:     Post subject:

Back to top
Lexilogio
Well Known Chatterbox...


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 7585


Location: North of the Watford Gap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

The question of what is or is not offensive often depends on a number of factors, including how the comment is taken - how much is given back, and to an extent, the factual accuracy of the comment.


That said - this thread has been getting a bit out of hand.

The idea behind a forum is to discuss the issue - not simply to sling metaphorical mud at each other. That is what the Bear Pit is there for. My comment, and those made by Trent since, are intended to remind people that perhaps it would be more interesting to discuss the issue than to have a slanging match.
_________________
Lexi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boyg wrote:
cyberman wrote:
The Boyg wrote:

I don't know. It depends on what Cyberman was hoping to prove with his little quote-mining exercise.  He didn't say at the time.


This term 'quote-mining' again. Is it now just a 'get out of jail free' card to pretend you never actually said what you said.


No it's what you call it when someone takes a quote out of context to make it appear that it meant something that it didn't, e.g. trying to pretend that I had abused someone when I described their comment as a "dickhead presumption" when I didn't actually say anything derogatory about them at all.  


I see, so actually you were being friendly. 'My chum genghiscant and his lovely dickhead presumptions'.

Thanks for explaining.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cymrudynnion wrote:
in my own neck of the woods any consession that islam wishes to have is given by the bucketfull by those in authority.


Anyway....

If everyone's quite finished with the smokescreen..

I suspect bigotry. I am not calling anyone a bigot. I am commenting on the post, not the poster.

I suspect bigotry lurks within the post which I have quoted.

Can anyone explain what concessions are being referred to... or is it in fact ill-informed bigotry, this post upon which I am commenting?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cym...?

Are you there...?

Was your post indicative of bigotry, cym?

Any examples of the concessions which you say have been granted, cym...?

Were they just pretend?

Did you make them up?

Are you still too ashamed to address these questions?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberman wrote:
cym...?

Are you there...?

Was your post indicative of bigotry, cym?

Any examples of the concessions which you say have been granted, cym...?

Were they just pretend?

Did you make them up?

Are you still too ashamed to address these questions?


Helloooo..?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cymrudynnion wrote:
in my own neck of the woods any consession that islam wishes to have is given by the bucketfull by those in authority.


Cymrudynnion,

Due to an unidentified technical fault, it appears that every time you post your reply to this question it somehow disappears.

This has had the unfortunate effect of making you appear to be a mindless, cowardly bigot.

I am sure that there are, somewhere in the vastness fo eternity, reasons for believing that you are not a mindless, cowardly bigot. It is truly regrettable that they are not apparent here.

Are you able to try and overcome these technical issues and provide your evidence?

I would suggest the following procedure:

(a) Click on "quote"
(b) Type your examples
(c) Click on "Submit"

This may have the effect of removing the aura of mind-numbing stupidity which currently (and quite wrongly I'm sure) surrounds your online persona.

Lots of love

cyberman xx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Powwow
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 3793


Location: alberta canada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop obsessing Cyber. It's like you have a crush on the poor guy. He has my sympathies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a crush; it's expecting somebody who has made highly specific allegations to back up those allegations with concrete evidence or withdraw them, which for weeks and weeks on end cymrudinnion has steadfastly refused to do.

Or do you not agree that people should substantiate (that means back up, provide evidence for) their assertions with factual proof?
_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Powwow
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 3793


Location: alberta canada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You often don't.lol

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Other religions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum