nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index nglreturns.myfreeforum.org
Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Are You An Atheist?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Atheist chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are You An Atheist?
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
No
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

Author Message
Ketty
Moderator


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 7376


Location: Walking the narrow path, singing merrily and living Victoriously

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

Ralph2 wrote:
Ketty wrote:
Ralph2 wrote:
I didn't say that just reading the book on its own brings you closer to God.


Yes you did. †Look:

Ralph2 wrote:
The bible was never intended to be factually accurate. †It is not a history book. It is a book of commandments, †principles and precepts in the form of symbolism, parables, †facts and allegories. Those who read it's pages with an open mind will get closer to deity then by any other book in existence. That is its function.


Presuming you meant 'god' by the use of the word 'deity'? †


Yes, †but I used the word closer with it.


You claimed you didn't say something you actually did say.  The evidence is shown, reminder made, and yet you're trying to still claim you didn't say it?   Mad as a box of frogs.    
_________________
<><Although Christians and Mormons use the same words such as grace, faith, God and sin, they mean very different things by them. Beware the poison!><>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Derek
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Jul 2013
Posts: 4885



PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketty wrote:
Ralph2 wrote:
Ketty wrote:
Ralph2 wrote:
I didn't say that just reading the book on its own brings you closer to God.


Yes you did. †Look:

Ralph2 wrote:
The bible was never intended to be factually accurate. †It is not a history book. It is a book of commandments, †principles and precepts in the form of symbolism, parables, †facts and allegories. Those who read it's pages with an open mind will get closer to deity then by any other book in existence. That is its function.


Presuming you meant 'god' by the use of the word 'deity'? †


Yes, †but I used the word closer with it.


You claimed you didn't say something you actually did say. †The evidence is shown, reminder made, and yet you're trying to still claim you didn't say it? † Mad as a box of frogs. † †


Once again you take an innocent remark and turn it into something dastardly. I would be some kind of fool to believe that it is the only source by which one can draw near to God. What I said is accurate and correct. Those who read it's pages, with an open mind, will get closer to deity then by any other book in existence. That is the truth and that is its function, and you tried to poison that sentiment in yet another attack on me. Can you see how easy it is to call you a pseudo Christian. It is because that is exactly what you are.
_________________
Christians believe in the Godhead. God, the father, and his son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, who testifies of His Truth. Three  Separate and Distinct Individuals. Anything else is false doctrine, the teaching of men.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketty
Moderator


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 7376


Location: Walking the narrow path, singing merrily and living Victoriously

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph2 wrote:
Once again you take an innocent remark and turn it into something dastardly. I would be some kind of fool to believe that it is the only source by which one can draw near to God. What I said is accurate and correct. Those who read it's pages, with an open mind, will get closer to deity then by any other book in existence. That is the truth and that is its function, and you tried to poison that sentiment in yet another attack on me. Can you see how easy it is to call you a pseudo Christian. It is because that is exactly what you are.


     

Ralph2 wrote:
The bible was never intended to be factually accurate.  It is not a history book. It is a book of commandments,  principles and precepts in the form of symbolism, parables,  facts and allegories. Those who read it's pages with an open mind will get closer to deity then by any other book in existence. That is its function.


Simply reading a book does not bring a reader closer to a deity.  Simply reading a Bible does not bring anyone closer to I AM* and to assert this is the case is yet more LDS tosh!

* the real One: the triune Godhead - God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.
_________________
<><Although Christians and Mormons use the same words such as grace, faith, God and sin, they mean very different things by them. Beware the poison!><>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Derek
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Jul 2013
Posts: 4885



PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketty wrote:
Ralph2 wrote:
Once again you take an innocent remark and turn it into something dastardly. I would be some kind of fool to believe that it is the only source by which one can draw near to God. What I said is accurate and correct. Those who read it's pages, with an open mind, will get closer to deity then by any other book in existence. That is the truth and that is its function, and you tried to poison that sentiment in yet another attack on me. Can you see how easy it is to call you a pseudo Christian. It is because that is exactly what you are.




Ralph2 wrote:
The bible was never intended to be factually accurate. †It is not a history book. It is a book of commandments, †principles and precepts in the form of symbolism, parables, †facts and allegories. Those who read it's pages with an open mind will get closer to deity then by any other book in existence. That is its function.


Simply reading a book does not bring a reader closer to a deity. †Simply reading a Bible does not bring anyone closer to I AM* and to assert this is the case is yet more LDS tosh!

* the real One: the triune Godhead - God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.


What a very strange thing to say. It leads me to solidify it even more that my opinion that you are, †indeed, †a pseudo Christian is quite true. I feel the spirit of God every time I read His scriptures, every day. It is the word of God, so how could you not feel that warm feeling in your bosom testifying to your soul that he lives and he loves you. †Prayers are when you talk to God and the Scriptures is God answering them. By reading his words with an open mind and a contrite spirit one can positively get closer to God. I can personally testify that that is true. That is how I know that the trinity is an irrelevance to out eternal progression and that the bible only speaks of the godhead, †God the father, †his son, †Jesus Christ and the Holy ghost being separate and distinct. †The bible contains all that we need to know and we need to know the nature of the godhead and that Jesus walked on this earth as a mortal man, with his earthly body and His unique spirit, as God spoke to him from on high.

I love to read the Holy Scriptures.

1. I love to read the holy scriptures,
And, evíry time I do,
I feel the Spirit start to grow within my heartó
A testimony that theyíre true.

2. So, prayerfully Iíll read the scriptures
Each day my whole life through.
Iíll come to understand.
Iíll heed the Lordís command
And live as he would have me do.

Chorus
Search, ponder, and pray
Are the things that I must do.
The Spirit will guide, and, deep inside,
Iíll know the scriptures are true.

Words: Jaclyn Thomas Milne, b. 1949. © 1986 IRI

Music: Carol Baker Black, b. 1951. © 1986 IR

If you genuinely believe that a man cannot get closer to God by reading his inspired words then you have no room to critique the Mormons.  They are more Christian then you will ever be.
_________________
Christians believe in the Godhead. God, the father, and his son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, who testifies of His Truth. Three  Separate and Distinct Individuals. Anything else is false doctrine, the teaching of men.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketty
Moderator


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 7376


Location: Walking the narrow path, singing merrily and living Victoriously

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph2 wrote:
What a very strange thing to say. It leads me to solidify it even more that my opinion that you are, †indeed, †a pseudo Christian is quite true. I feel the spirit of God every time I read His scriptures, every day. It is the word of God, so how could you not feel that warm feeling in your bosom testifying to your soul that he lives and he loves you. †Prayers are when you talk to God and the Scriptures is God answering them. By reading his words with an open mind and a contrite spirit one can positively get closer to God. I can personally testify that that is true. That is how I know that the trinity is an irrelevance to out eternal progression and that the bible only speaks of the godhead, †God the father, †his son, †Jesus Christ and the Holy ghost being separate and distinct. †The bible contains all that we need to know and we need to know the nature of the godhead and that Jesus walked on this earth as a mortal man, with his earthly body and His unique spirit, as God spoke to him from on high.


Lovely blah blah new agey pink fluffy bunny stuff. † And a straw man: †nothing at all to do with your assertion, which you denied, but was confronted with your words and now over which you still twist and turn like a barrel load of slippery eels.

It's obvious when you read your New King James and your LDS add-ons, you feel no conviction of spirit, but then you have told us that the Holy Spirit continues to elude you. †

Lovely "warm feelings in the bosom" are not unusual when reading poetry or listening to music - even Iron Maiden can move some to tears.

Come out of that which binds you "Ralph" and know the freedom that is in Christ Jesus, ie, the real One: I AM - the triune Godhead, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.




_________________
<><Although Christians and Mormons use the same words such as grace, faith, God and sin, they mean very different things by them. Beware the poison!><>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Do you believe the Genesis story as it's written in the bible, without all your fancy interpretations, allegories & justifications?





Quote:
No.


Why don't you believe Genesis?


cyberman wrote:


Well, digging up dinosaurs helps for a start!
..as I said earlier. God, your brain is fucking slow, isn't it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genghiscant
Community Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Posts: 844


Location: Hampshire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberman wrote:
genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Do you believe the Genesis story as it's written in the bible, without all your fancy interpretations, allegories & justifications?





Quote:
No.


Why don't you believe Genesis?


cyberman wrote:


Well, digging up dinosaurs helps for a start!
..as I said earlier. God, your brain is fucking slow, isn't it?


Are you pissed again?
_________________
People look at the possibilities, choose the one that most appeals to them, and then work backwards to justify the position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genghiscant wrote:
cyberman wrote:
genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Do you believe the Genesis story as it's written in the bible, without all your fancy interpretations, allegories & justifications?





Quote:
No.


Why don't you believe Genesis?


cyberman wrote:


Well, digging up dinosaurs helps for a start!
..as I said earlier. God, your brain is fucking slow, isn't it?


Are you pissed again?


No. I shalll spell it out for you.

You asked me why I don't believe in the literal truth of Genesis.

I said (obviously too obliquely for you to understand) that scientific evidence contradicts Genesis, and that is why I don't believe Genesis.

Do you understand? I'll run through that again for you:

I do not believe in the literal truth of Genesis because scientific evidence (like digging up dinosaurs) shows it to be untrue.

I know you struggle to keep up, but I should have thought even you could understand that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genghiscant
Community Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Posts: 844


Location: Hampshire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberman wrote:
genghiscant wrote:
cyberman wrote:
genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Do you believe the Genesis story as it's written in the bible, without all your fancy interpretations, allegories & justifications?





Quote:
No.


Why don't you believe Genesis?


cyberman wrote:


Well, digging up dinosaurs helps for a start!
..as I said earlier. God, your brain is fucking slow, isn't it?


Are you pissed again?


No. I shalll spell it out for you.

You asked me why I don't believe in the literal truth of Genesis.

I said (obviously too obliquely for you to understand) that scientific evidence contradicts Genesis, and that is why I don't believe Genesis.

Do you understand? I'll run through that again for you:

I do not believe in the literal truth of Genesis because scientific evidence (like digging up dinosaurs) shows it to be untrue.

I know you struggle to keep up, but I should have thought even you could understand that.


I only asked because you tend to get abusive when you've had more than enough.

Do you believe the Virgin Birth?
_________________
People look at the possibilities, choose the one that most appeals to them, and then work backwards to justify the position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberman
Senior Community Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 3750


Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genghiscant wrote:
cyberman wrote:
genghiscant wrote:
cyberman wrote:
genghiscant wrote:
Quote:
Do you believe the Genesis story as it's written in the bible, without all your fancy interpretations, allegories & justifications?





Quote:
No.


Why don't you believe Genesis?


cyberman wrote:


Well, digging up dinosaurs helps for a start!
..as I said earlier. God, your brain is fucking slow, isn't it?


Are you pissed again?


No. I shalll spell it out for you.

You asked me why I don't believe in the literal truth of Genesis.

I said (obviously too obliquely for you to understand) that scientific evidence contradicts Genesis, and that is why I don't believe Genesis.

Do you understand? I'll run through that again for you:

I do not believe in the literal truth of Genesis because scientific evidence (like digging up dinosaurs) shows it to be untrue.

I know you struggle to keep up, but I should have thought even you could understand that.


I only asked because you tend to get abusive when you've had more than enough.

Do you believe the Virgin Birth?


Usually, yes: but my faith doesn't depend on it being true, and I do question it.

But whereas there is evidence which directly contradicts the events describes in Genesis, there is not evidence which driectly contradicts the Virgin Birth.

Of course, there is evidence that it is impossible, but that's not quite the same. In the case of Genesis we have hard evidence of what actually happened, not just evidence that the Bible version is implausible.

BTW, don't give up your day job - you're shit at psychology. I haven't been drunk in years.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Atheist chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum