nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index nglreturns.myfreeforum.org
Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Biblical knowledge
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> All faiths and none
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
trentvoyager
Moderator


Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 2570


Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
trentvoyager wrote:
Quote:
This is, of course, an insult; not only to Klingons, whose capital city is Qo'nos - a possible error worthy of Smith himself - but to fantasy authors everywhere.


I'm sorry Jim - but I did not state it was the Capital city - it is in fact the fourth largest city on the southern continent. A largely drab city - it's only plus point is that it produces most of the Klingon empires supply of both gagh & racht.


-
Look, TV:
Qo'nos is the place where the changeling who was Martok was revealed.
It was the place where the house of Mogh was dishonoured, and the Romulans played politics and lost!
It was the place where the house of Duras almost ripped the empire apart...
Oh, and the place where Quark got a painful lesson in Klingon divorce customs....

That makes it capital in my books...and much more believable than any fantasy of steel, elephants, massive wars that leave no evidence, huge ciities which vanish like coffee stains on magic underpants....all in another fantasy by a chap who snuffed it while being held for criminal offenses...


I think you have perhaps misunderstood me - I know that Qo'nos is the capital - I am saying that Kolob that drab, univiting, ugly city is the fourth largest on the southern continent. Unreachable by land for much of the year due to the red hot quicksand that is needed for the growth of the aforementioned worm-like creatures.
_________________
Wasn't Billy Liar a great play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jim
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Jun 2011
Posts: 4842


Location: South West Scotland

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trentvoyager:117698"]
Jim wrote:
trentvoyager wrote:
Quote:
This is, of course, an insult; not only to Klingons, whose capital city is Qo'nos - a possible error worthy of Smith himself - but to fantasy authors everywhere.


I'm sorry Jim - but I did not state it was the Capital city - it is in fact the fourth largest city on the southern continent. A largely drab city - it's only plus point is that it produces most of the Klingon empires supply of both gagh & racht.

-
Look, TV:
Qo'nos is the place where the changeling who was Martok was revealed.
It was the place where the house of Mogh was dishonoured, and the Romulans played politics and lost!
It was the place where the house of Duras almost ripped the empire apart...
Oh, and the place where Quark got a painful lesson in Klingon divorce customs....

That makes it capital in my books...and much more believable than any fantasy of steel, elephants, massive wars that leave no evidence, huge ciities which vanish like coffee stains on magic underpants....all in another fantasy by a chap who snuffed it while being held for criminal offenses...


I think you have perhaps misunderstood me - I know that Qo'nos is the capital - I am saying that Kolob that drab, univiting, ugly city is the fourth largest on the southern continent. Unreachable by land for much of the year due to the red hot quicksand that is needed for the growth of the aforementioned worm-like creatures.


-
Ah:
Humble apologies.
Mind you, the descriptoion of Koloth sounds about right.
Changing a Klingon war chant:
"Today (might not) be a good day to die."
Not if you want to end up on Koloth.
_________________
Christians accept One God, Triune in nature.
SAOR ALBA GU BRATH!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sebastian Toe
Senior Community Member


Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Posts: 1261



PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph2 wrote:
Sebastian Toe wrote:
Ralph2 wrote:
Sebastian Toe wrote:
Ralph2 wrote:


A judgement is made when you are not in possession of all the facts. I make no judgement as to whether Jim and Ketty are Christian.


Cough!!!!

Ralph2 wrote:
Does Jim live a Christian life? No, he believes in the non-Christian belief of the trinity and god incarnate. He contravenes the laws on loving your enemies, bearing false witness, judging others etc etc.. He does not believe in the atonement, judgment day or repentance. He believes that he has a place in heaven assured. So no, he is not a Christian.




I make no judgement that they are not Christians, I know that they are not Christians. My evidence is their words and spirits detailing what they believe, and they do not fall within the criteria of what makes a Christian. Indeed, their beliefs can only take souls away from the plan of salvations and into the arms of the father of all lies. So, as I said,  and you failed to comprehend, "A judgement is made when you are not in possession of all the facts. I make no judgement as to whether Jim and Ketty are Christian."


judge
verb \ˈjəj\

: to form an opinion about (something or someone) after careful thought
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/judge

judge  (jŭj)
v. judged, judg·ing, judg·es
v.tr.
1. To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/judge


Thank you, although yo did miss a lot of the definition out.


1. To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration: judge heights; judging character.
2.
a. Law To hear and decide on in a court of law; try: judge a case.
b. Obsolete To pass sentence on; condemn.
c. To act as one appointed to decide the winners of: judge an essay contest.
3. To determine or declare after consideration or deliberation.
4. Informal To have as an opinion or assumption; suppose: I judge you're right.
5. Bible To govern; rule. Used of an ancient Israelite leader.
v.intr.
1. To form an opinion or evaluation.
2. To act or decide as a judge.

judge (dʒʌdʒ)

n., v. judged, judg•ing. n.
1. a public officer authorized to hear and decide cases in a court of law.
2. a person appointed to decide in a contest or matter at issue.
3. a person qualified to pass critical judgment: a good judge of horses.
4. an administrative head of Israel in the period between the death of Joshua and the accession to the throne by Saul.
v.t.
5. to pass legal judgment on: The court judged him not guilty.
6. to hear evidence or legal arguments in (a case) in order to pass judgment; try.
7. to form a judgment or opinion of: to judge a book by its cover.
8. to decide or settle authoritatively: The censor judged the book obscene.
9. to infer, think, or hold as an opinion.
10. to make a careful guess about; estimate: I judged the distance to be about two miles.
11. to act as a judge in (a contest or competition).
12. (of the ancient Hebrew judges) to govern.
v.i.
13. to act as a judge; pass judgment.
14. to form an opinion or estimate.


Thanks again for confirming that you have judged that Jim is not a Christian.
Next....
_________________
The legal drinking age has never been 21 in the UK.
It was increased to 18 years around 1922 and has remained 18 years ever since.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Derek
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Jul 2013
Posts: 4885



PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sebastian Toe:117711"]
Quote:



Thanks again for confirming that you have judged that Jim is not a Christian.
Next....


S'il vous plaît, Au contraire, Au contraire, mon ami.
_________________
Christians believe in the Godhead. God, the father, and his son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, who testifies of His Truth. Three  Separate and Distinct Individuals. Anything else is false doctrine, the teaching of men.


Last edited by Derek on Thu May 15, 2014 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trentvoyager
Moderator


Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 2570


Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Au contrair, Au contrair, mon ami.


Blimey Jim!

I've just realised - Ralph is part of the Q Continuum. (Although omnipotent beings, they never got the hang of French spelling)
_________________
Wasn't Billy Liar a great play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sebastian Toe
Senior Community Member


Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Posts: 1261



PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ralph2:117678"]
Shaker wrote:
Quote:
Ralph2 wrote:
Quizzimodo??

Apologies to all concerned: it was Sebastian Toe.
Quote:
No,  that is a fact.


It isn't. It's a belief of yours.


If such a blatant error is made regarding the identity of a poster how much credibility does the rest of you post hold?
.


SNAP

Ralph2 wrote:
Sebastian Toe wrote:
Ralph2 wrote:
The equivalent here is Easter Town in Glasgow.

Where?


My mistake,  it should be Easterhouse.

_________________
The legal drinking age has never been 21 in the UK.
It was increased to 18 years around 1922 and has remained 18 years ever since.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Derek
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Jul 2013
Posts: 4885



PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="Jim:117695"]This is a basic statement, in modern language, of what the Church of Scotland believes.
(It takes a lot to get me to actually agree with every word of a CofS document, so make the most of it....I won't make a habit of it)
If you like, it defines what we believe are the basics of being a Christian.
Every part is, of course, firmly grounded in Scripture....which includes only the Old and New Testaments and excludes all modern fantasy works.
The text can be found at

http://www.churchofscotland.org.u...h/statements_of_the_churchs_faith


One thing that is blatantly obvious is that you have no reason. No reason why we are here, where did we come from and where are we going to. You seem to believe it to be Gods will yet ignore all the many scriptures that tell us exactly why we are here and what we are doing. You have blind faith and hope without any reasoning.

Quote:
"We believe in one God:
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
three persons living in the unity of love.


If this were true and important to the salvation and eternal life of mankind the God would have made such a fairy tale concept known to us in his word. He hasn't

Quote:
We praise God the Father:
in love he created the universe through his eternal Word and Spirit;
by his power he sustains and directs it.


The universe was created by the big bang. God may have pushed the button but the universe made itself.

Quote:
He has made us his sons and daughters,
to share his joy and to live together in peace.


It is not possible to be made a son or daughter. We either are or we are not his sons and daughters, in a literal sense. My spirit is the literal creation of my Father in Heaven. Only by proving ourselves herewith will we be granted place in the kingdom of God. No unclean thing can dwell in the presence of God. You get this mortal probation wrong and you forfeit your rights to live in the presence of God. How can you get it so wrong and still believe that you are right?

Quote:
We confess Jesus Christ, God the Son:
in love, by the power of the Holy Spirit, he became one of us;
to fulfil the promise to Israel and to reconcile the world with God.


Absolute rubbish.

Quote:
In his life he was obedient to his Father's will;
he forgave sinners, brought hope to the lost,
healed the sick, and set free those who were oppressed.


At last.  An accurate statement.

Quote:
In his death on the cross he bore the sin of the world;
on the third day he was raised from death by the power of God.
He triumphed over all the powers of evil;
now he reigns in heaven, sharing his risen life with us.


No, in the garden of Ghetsemani he took upon himself the sins of the world. On the cross he died for death was necessary before resurrection could take place.

Quote:
We trust God the Holy Spirit:
in love he calls the Church into being.
He unites us to Christ, in whom we are justified.
He guides our understanding of the Scriptures,
as he also guided and inspired their writers.
He sanctifies us in sacraments,
and imparts to the faithful the fullness of Christ.
He assures us of forgiveness.


The Holy Ghost brought the assembly into being, or the congregation, he did take a crash course in Church building.

Quote:
He empowers us to be disciples,


No, the power of the priesthood, after the order of the son of God, gives us that authority.

Quote:
We rejoice in the gift of eternal life:


You do not know what eternal life is. You have been duped into believing it is salvation. One of Satan's exemplary deceits. Because of that you will have to be judged. You cannot blame anyone for your failure to recognise that which is true. Truth is a constant. It never changes. It is always available to find.

Quote:
We hope for the coming resurrection, through the resurrection of Christ.
We look for his coming again in power and glory,
to judge the world and to make all things new.
Then all creation shall rejoice in communion with the Father, through the Son, in the power of the Holy Spirit, one God blessed forever. "


But why? What should we rejoice? What have we achieved? What is the goal?

You seem to have excluded quite a few. Things like the rapsody. The notion that to confess that Jesus is Christ is sufficient to give us eternal life with God. Your misunderstanding of salvation, meaning that we will all be saved. That we will go step into immortality from mortality, not that we will have place in the presence of God as the body may be perfect but the mind will remain as is. You, Jim, in my opinion, do not have place there. Your whole persona would not fit there. You would be uncomfortable in the presence of those who know pure love and righteousness. By your post here you have difficulty in empathy, pride, arrogance and condescension. You believe the unbelievable and shun that which is true.
_________________
Christians believe in the Godhead. God, the father, and his son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, who testifies of His Truth. Three  Separate and Distinct Individuals. Anything else is false doctrine, the teaching of men.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Derek
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Jul 2013
Posts: 4885



PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sebastian Toe:117715"]
Ralph2 wrote:
Shaker wrote:
Quote:
Ralph2 wrote:
Quizzimodo??

Apologies to all concerned: it was Sebastian Toe.
Quote:
No,  that is a fact.


It isn't. It's a belief of yours.


If such a blatant error is made regarding the identity of a poster how much credibility does the rest of you post hold?
.


SNAP

Ralph2 wrote:
Sebastian Toe wrote:
Ralph2 wrote:
The equivalent here is Easter Town in Glasgow.

Where?


My mistake,  it should be Easterhouse.


Ad hominems or Trolling
_________________
Christians believe in the Godhead. God, the father, and his son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, who testifies of His Truth. Three  Separate and Distinct Individuals. Anything else is false doctrine, the teaching of men.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sebastian Toe
Senior Community Member


Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Posts: 1261



PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ralph2:117720"]
Sebastian Toe wrote:
Ralph2 wrote:
Shaker wrote:
Quote:
Ralph2 wrote:
Quizzimodo??

Apologies to all concerned: it was Sebastian Toe.
Quote:
No,  that is a fact.


It isn't. It's a belief of yours.


If such a blatant error is made regarding the identity of a poster how much credibility does the rest of you post hold?
.


SNAP

Ralph2 wrote:
Sebastian Toe wrote:
Ralph2 wrote:
The equivalent here is Easter Town in Glasgow.

Where?


My mistake,  it should be Easterhouse.


Ad hominems or Trolling


..or highlighting hypocrisy.
_________________
The legal drinking age has never been 21 in the UK.
It was increased to 18 years around 1922 and has remained 18 years ever since.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketty
Moderator


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 7376


Location: Walking the narrow path, singing merrily and living Victoriously

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trentvoyager wrote:
Quote:
Au contrair, Au contrair, mon ami.


Blimey Jim!

I've just realised - Ralph is part of the Q Continuum. (Although omnipotent beings, they never got the hang of French spelling)


Unless you say it in a Delboy, or a ridiculous French accent - then the poor spelling and grammar can be overlooked.  N'est–ce pas?


_________________
<><Although Christians and Mormons use the same words such as grace, faith, God and sin, they mean very different things by them. Beware the poison!><>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> All faiths and none All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum