nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index nglreturns.myfreeforum.org
Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Archbishop of Cant. "doubts God's existence"
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Archbishop of Cant. "doubts God's existence"  Reply with quote

Apparently:

Quote:
The archbishop of Canterbury has admitted to having doubts about the existence of God and disclosed that on a recent morning jog with his dog he questioned why the Almighty had failed to intervene to prevent an injustice.

In a light-hearted but personal interview in front of hundreds of people in Bristol cathedral last weekend, Justin Welby said: "There are moments, sure, where you think 'Is there a God? Where is God?'"


This is supposed to be news-worthy?  
_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketty
Moderator


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 7376


Location: Walking the narrow path, singing merrily and living Victoriously

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Archbishop of Cant. "doubts God's existence" Reply with quote

I saw that report.

Shaker wrote:
This is supposed to be news-worthy?  


It's CofE, so nah!  Maybe one day he'll talk of when he 'used to be' a Christian, whilst he hugs a tree and talks to tree spirits.  
_________________
<><Although Christians and Mormons use the same words such as grace, faith, God and sin, they mean very different things by them. Beware the poison!><>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JamesJah
Well Known Chatterbox...


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 5425


Location: Sheppey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Archbishop of Cant. "doubts God's existence" Reply with quote

Ketty wrote:
I saw that report.

Shaker wrote:
This is supposed to be news-worthy?  


It's CofE, so nah!  Maybe one day he'll talk of when he 'used to be' a Christian, whilst he hugs a tree and talks to tree spirits.  


Does he not do that already??+

Which God is he hoping will listen to him?

Does Thor do good works?
_________________
James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Archbishop of Cant. "doubts God's existence" Reply with quote

Ketty wrote:
It's CofE, so nah!  Maybe one day he'll talk of when he 'used to be' a Christian, whilst he hugs a tree and talks to tree spirits.  


No, that was his predecessor  

The only thing that makes me question its newsworthiness is that we're always being told that doubt is an inherent and inescapable and (according to some) even essential component of faith. It's something I've heard a million times. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest to hear Welby speak in this manner, in fact he deserves immense credit for it and I would like to think that it'll open up a discussion; the only surprise is that it's so senior a religious figure prepared to fess up to it - there's sometimes the impression given that faith is a cast-iron, unchanging thing unbuffeted by serious misgivings and doubts and possibly even, at times, outright disbelief.
_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll


Last edited by Shaker on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Powwow
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 3793


Location: alberta canada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the full item. I can't recall any Christian I know that has claimed that they have never had moments of doubt.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29255318



"Behold, I go forward, but he is not there; and backward, but cannot perceive him:"   Job 23:8
_________________
"If we were to judge nature by common sense or likelihood, we wouldn't believe the world existed."   Annie Dillard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RHmsg86G0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Powwow
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 3793


Location: alberta canada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.keepbelieving.com/sermon/if-i-believe-why-do-i-doubt/
_________________
"If we were to judge nature by common sense or likelihood, we wouldn't believe the world existed."   Annie Dillard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RHmsg86G0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JamesJah
Well Known Chatterbox...


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 5425


Location: Sheppey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one is in it because it is a well paid job, it should not matter what you believe as long as you do what the job requires of you, is that not the case with most organised religions?
_________________
James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesJah wrote:
If one is in it because it is a well paid job, it should not matter what you believe as long as you do what the job requires of you, is that not the case with most organised religions?


I fully agree.

Now. How do we ascertain whether or not Welby occupies the office he holds only because it's a (relatively) well-paid job? Any ideas?
_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Powwow
Senior Community Member


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 3793


Location: alberta canada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously ignored the full statement by the Archbishop. You pulled a couple juicy bits for your thread. I encourage everybody to read the Archbishop's comments in full. I wouldn't believe a Christian that told me they never had moments of doubt. Like the Archbishop said, Psalms is full of doubts. That's a very human thingy you know. Now Shaker and the JW have their noodles together and are questioning the Archbishops motive for holding his job. That's the funniest thing I've read here for some time. An atheist and a JW suggesting he's in it for the money. One moment that old atheist is praising the Archbishop for his honesty and the next the atheist is calling into question his motives for being archbishop.
You are all over the map and not making any sense in your train wreck of a thread Shaker.  Praise the man, no wait, doubt the man, ya but, no but! Whatever Shaker, try and make up your mind. Praise the Archbishop for his courage and honesty or crucify him by wanting to find out his motives for holding office, with the nasty suggestion that it might be the money. Here's a thought Shaker, how about you e mail him with that very question. I betcha he would be happy to inform you what has led him to the office he holds. Grow up!
_________________
"If we were to judge nature by common sense or likelihood, we wouldn't believe the world existed."   Annie Dillard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RHmsg86G0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JamesJah
Well Known Chatterbox...


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 5425


Location: Sheppey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pow wow wrote:
You obviously ignored the full statement by the Archbishop. You pulled a couple juicy bits for your thread. I encourage everybody to read the Archbishop's comments in full. I wouldn't believe a Christian that told me they never had moments of doubt. Like the Archbishop said, Psalms is full of doubts. That's a very human thingy you know. Now Shaker and the JW have their noodles together and are questioning the Archbishops motive for holding his job. That's the funniest thing I've read here for some time. An atheist and a JW suggesting he's in it for the money. One moment that old atheist is praising the Archbishop for his honesty and the next the atheist is calling into question his motives for being archbishop.
You are all over the map and not making any sense in your train wreck of a thread Shaker.  Praise the man, no wait, doubt the man, ya but, no but! Whatever Shaker, try and make up your mind. Praise the Archbishop for his courage and honesty or crucify him by wanting to find out his motives for holding office, with the nasty suggestion that it might be the money. Here's a thought Shaker, how about you e mail him with that very question. I betcha he would be happy to inform you what has led him to the office he holds. Grow up!


What did the man they profess to follow have to say on the subject?

Matthew 23:2-4
The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the seat of Moses. Therefore, all the things they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds, for they say but they do not practice what they say. They bind up heavy loads and put them on the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger.


_________________
James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Christian chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum