nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index nglreturns.myfreeforum.org
Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Yule Blessings
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Other religions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.






Posted:     Post subject:

Back to top
Oak King (rtd)
Junior Community Member


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 70


Location: Llandeilo, West Wales

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

<<Seems you tend to believe in things that are mainly myth. You also create them too.>>

Something Wicca has in common with every other religion on this planet.

BB H
_________________
Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave B
Senior Community Member


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 1142


Location: Gloucester

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak King (rtd) wrote:
<<Seems you tend to believe in things that are mainly myth. You also create them too.>>

Something Wicca has in common with every other religion on this planet.

BB H
And most political systems as well.  
_________________
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Phillip K. Dick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Leonard James
Senior Community Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 3963


Location: Spain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak King (rtd) wrote:
<<Seems you tend to believe in things that are mainly myth. You also create them too.>>

Something Wicca has in common with every other religion on this planet.

BB H

Spot on, OK. It is nice to hear someone who follows a religion admit that all of them are myths created by man for those that need them, like social clubs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oak King (rtd)
Junior Community Member


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 70


Location: Llandeilo, West Wales

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonard James wrote:
Oak King (rtd) wrote:
<<Seems you tend to believe in things that are mainly myth. You also create them too.>>

Something Wicca has in common with every other religion on this planet.

BB H

Spot on, OK. It is nice to hear someone who follows a religion admit that all of them are myths created by man for those that need them, like social clubs.


Well it's a bit more than just a social club, but there is no denying that the social side is important.

BB H
_________________
Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leonard James
Senior Community Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 3963


Location: Spain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak King (rtd) wrote:
Leonard James wrote:
Oak King (rtd) wrote:
<<Seems you tend to believe in things that are mainly myth. You also create them too.>>

Something Wicca has in common with every other religion on this planet.

BB H

Spot on, OK. It is nice to hear someone who follows a religion admit that all of them are myths created by man for those that need them, like social clubs.


Well it's a bit more than just a social club, but there is no denying that the social side is important.

BB H

Of course, OK. I wasn't suggesting the need they fulfilled was only a social one, but simply pointing out that all religions were created by men who felt the need for there to be 'something more' than the universe and life that we know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oak King (rtd)
Junior Community Member


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 70


Location: Llandeilo, West Wales

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonard James wrote:
Oak King (rtd) wrote:
Leonard James wrote:
Oak King (rtd) wrote:
<<Seems you tend to believe in things that are mainly myth. You also create them too.>>

Something Wicca has in common with every other religion on this planet.

BB H

Spot on, OK. It is nice to hear someone who follows a religion admit that all of them are myths created by man for those that need them, like social clubs.


Well it's a bit more than just a social club, but there is no denying that the social side is important.

BB H

Of course, OK. I wasn't suggesting the need they fulfilled was only a social one, but simply pointing out that all religions were created by men who felt the need for there to be 'something more' than the universe and life that we know.


I thinkmost Wiccans would accept that and acknowledge that deities are something of a mental construct that enable us to rationalise the completely irrational. Funny old business innit  

BB H
_________________
Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave B
Senior Community Member


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 1142


Location: Gloucester

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak King (rtd) wrote:
Leonard James wrote:
Oak King (rtd) wrote:
Leonard James wrote:
Oak King (rtd) wrote:
<<Seems you tend to believe in things that are mainly myth. You also create them too.>>

Something Wicca has in common with every other religion on this planet.

BB H

Spot on, OK. It is nice to hear someone who follows a religion admit that all of them are myths created by man for those that need them, like social clubs.


Well it's a bit more than just a social club, but there is no denying that the social side is important.

BB H

Of course, OK. I wasn't suggesting the need they fulfilled was only a social one, but simply pointing out that all religions were created by men who felt the need for there to be 'something more' than the universe and life that we know.


I thinkmost Wiccans would accept that and acknowledge that deities are something of a mental construct that enable us to rationalise the completely irrational. Funny old business innit  

BB H
As my sister used to say, something to unscrute the inscrutable.
_________________
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Phillip K. Dick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Leonard James
Senior Community Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 3963


Location: Spain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oakie,

I would be interested to hear what it is that is irrational that needs rationalising, because I can see nothing irrational about life or the universe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jeremyp
Junior Community Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2009
Posts: 209



PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave B wrote:

Accept it, Lynne, that the Christians stole this season's festivities from the heathens, just as they stole Easter (from the goddess of fertility, Eostre).

Sorry Dave, but that's just not true.  As far as anybody knows Yule does not predate Christmas and it wasn't stolen by Christians.  Certainly, when Christianity took over, the Yule festivity was merged in with Christmas, but Christmas itself probably evolved from some Roman Winter Solstice jollity.

Easter is even more clear cut.  It's clearly based on the Jewish Pesach.   We only call it Easter because it fell in the month named after Eostre.
_________________
Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaker
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 8694



PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Christmas itself probably evolved from some Roman Winter Solstice jollity.

Most likely Saturnalia.


_________________
There’s no reason to be agnostic about ideas that are dramatically incompatible with everything we know about modern science. - Sean M. Carroll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Other religions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum