nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index nglreturns.myfreeforum.org
Nglreturns is a forum to discuss religion, philosophy, ethics etc...

NGLReturns Daily Quiz - Play here!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offence
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Philosophy Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genghiscant
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Offence  Reply with quote

Should people have the right, not to be offended? I'm thinking of recent events in France.
bnabernard
Senior Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are prone to be offended by the truth, however when it's fraudulent truth then there is a right to take offence.
So who judges truth from truth?
When do you have a quite word say and advise deodorant and when do you put up a bill board.

So here we are with bodies strewed asunder was it deliberate antagonism in return to deliberate antagonism, was any truths falsified?

Where do you start and where do you stop.

bernard (hug)
genghiscant
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are religions above satire?Does taking the micky out of god, Jesus or mohammed justify the sort of reaction witnessed this week? Should a religions idea of blasphemy be illegal?
bnabernard
Senior Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genghiscant wrote:
Are religions above satire?Does taking the micky out of god, Jesus or mohammed justify the sort of reaction witnessed this week?

Depends if you are saying, ''is it alright to take the piss out of God'' and then, ''is it alright for man to take a vengful reaction in bloody terms on Gods behalf''

Then the  posed  conundrum simply by refering to a number of Gods.

bernard (hug)
Ketty

Location: Walking the narrow path, singing merrily and living Victoriously

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genghiscant wrote:
Are religions above satire?

They shouldn't be, but some folk do like to take umbrage especially on somebody else's behalf.

genghiscant wrote:
Does taking the micky out of god, Jesus or mohammed justify the sort of reaction witnessed this week?

Nothing at all justifies the murders.

genghiscant wrote:
Should a religions idea of blasphemy be illegal?

Whether in men's terms it's illegal or not is irrelevant to the Lord God Almighty.  He's made it clear what it is to blaspheme, and what are the consequences for doing so.
Jim
Senior Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Offence Reply with quote

genghiscant wrote:
Should people have the right, not to be offended? I'm thinking of recent events in France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxo81Ok9Urk

No!
genghiscant
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any things that should be above humour? e.g. berevement.
trentvoyager

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genghiscant wrote:
Are there any things that should be above humour? e.g. berevement.

I'm minded of the old saying that "You cannot give offence you can only take it".

This is broadly speaking true.

I do, however, think that personally one should always be mindful of other peoples feelings when saying things that you know may be hurtful to them.

But, when it is in a broader context when discussing politics, religion etc - how do you draw any lines as to what may be considered offensive and what may not.

Charlie Hebdo could print as may cartoons as it likes about anything it likes and I will not be offended - but clearly others are.

What is for certain - it was a cartoon folks - that is not a justification for mass murder, however much offence was taken.

And, of course, the shoppers in the Jewish supermarket had not given any offence at all. Except that in some peoples warped minds, I suppose their very existence was an offence.
Jim
Senior Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="genghiscant:124187"]Are there any things that should be above humour? e.g. berevement.

-

-As long as one laughs at the phoeblles and antics of funerals, rather than at those who are bereaved, then I see humour, not as a hinderence, but an aid to the grieving process.

This link
http://thelaughacademy.com/laughing-your-way-through-grief/
is interesting.

Many funerals I've attended - evem some where the deceased has taken their own life - have included humour of some sort...and none the worse for that.
The wishes of the family are, of course, paramount. If they want people laughing, then no minister/priest/celebrant has, imo, the right to deny them this.
cyberman
Senior Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Offence Reply with quote

genghiscant wrote:
Should a religions idea of blasphemy be illegal?

Absolutely not! The idea that people should be obliged by law to hold any particular religious belief is absurd.

As for the broader question about being offended - of course we don't have a right not to be offended - because such a right would take away other people's right to offend. When it comes to causing offence, I tend to take the view that people can do so if they want to - I just wish they didn't want to.

I am glad that so far on this thread, the idea of causing offence has not become conflated with the idea of inciting hatred. These are two entirely different things, and discussions are often brought down by the two becoming mixed up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nglreturns.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Philosophy Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: